Good eyesight is very important for the high quality of our lives. Among the various ophthalmic diseases, experts distinguish increased intraocular pressure (IOP), causing a feeling of fullness, rapid eye fatigue, as well as headaches.
This term refers to the pressure that the contents of the eyeball exert on the sclera and cornea. Moisture begins to press on the inside of the eye due to impaired production or impaired absorption of fluid. Liquid metabolism may be impaired due to the use of hormones or antidepressants. Injuries and the wrong lifestyle can also be the cause.
Colds and ophthalmologic diseases can lead to pathological changes in this indicator. This condition causes pain, leads to squeezing of capillaries and may ultimately cause a dangerous disease - glaucoma.
How to relieve eye pressure at home? We will talk about this in this article.
General recommendations for home treatment
Treatment of eye pressure includes traditional and folk methods. In some cases, surgical intervention may be required. Only an integrated approach to this problem will eliminate the unpleasant symptoms of eye pressure:
- frequent redness of the eyeball, which has nothing to do with eye strain or lens wear,
- pain in the eye, which intensifies when pressed,
- an attack of nausea
- the appearance of flies in front of the eyes,
- blurred vision.
Despite the fact that specialists can quickly remove hypertension, the problem itself behind this symptom may remain. High blood pressure is a harbinger of glaucoma, so it is very important to turn to an ophthalmologist for help on time.
Increased intraocular pressure is a characteristic symptom of glaucoma. The progression of the disease can lead to complete blindness. You can lower eye pressure with medications. Patients can be prescribed drugs to improve the microcirculation of intraocular fluid, drugs to reduce the production of tear substances, as well as drops that open up alternative pathways for fluid outflow.
Drug treatment will succeed only if you adhere to some rules:
- during sleep, the head should be slightly raised, for this you should choose high pillows,
- monitor the level of illumination in the room. Lack of light can make it worse
- do eye exercises daily
- in cinemas and similar places, intraocular pressure may increase, so you’ll have to give up going there,
- do not wear clothes with tight collars, leave the top button open. Otherwise, the blood supply to the brain is disrupted, which also affects the state of the visual apparatus,
- during physical activity try not to tilt your head down strongly,
- exclude visual and physical overload,
- get an eye tonometer. With the help of the device you can take measurements at any time convenient for you,
- Get rid of bad habits, in particular, smoking and alcohol abuse. This will impair blood circulation in the optic nerves,
- do not drink too much liquid
- strong coffee and a lot of salt will also have to be abandoned,
- avoid stressful situations
- adjust the power. The diet should contain a large amount of vitamins and minerals,
- do sports
- twice a year, massage the collar zone with a specialist.
As already mentioned, at home it is useful to conduct therapeutic exercises to improve blood circulation. Consider simple exercises that can help reduce eye pressure:
- screw up your eyes one by one and open your eyes. Do 10 such repetitions,
- blink vigorously for two minutes, taking breaks,
- move your gaze to the right as much as possible and fix it on the subject for five seconds, repeat the same thing to the right side. Similar movements can be made up and down,
- blink intensely, and then go to a medium pace,
- close the eyelids and move the eyeballs left, right, up, down, diagonally, clockwise and counterclockwise,
- you need to stretch your arms forward and move your fingers. With your eyes, you must observe their movement. Then gradually bring your fingers closer to the nose, while you can’t look away from your fingers,
- daily make a contrast shower for the eyes,
- stand in front of the window and first fix your gaze on the object lying on the windowsill, and then transfer it to a distant object on the street,
- with closed eyes, draw geometric shapes, numbers, letters.
The course of therapy at home
Elevated eye pressure is often of a secondary nature. It can occur due to other diseases, for example, a tumor, an injury or pathology, which is characterized by an inflammatory process. In this case, to begin with, you need to eliminate the main problem, since it will not work without relieving eye pressure at home. Against the background of treatment of the primary cause, the ophthalmotonus is gradually normalizing.
In other cases, increased intraocular pressure can be cured using the following methods:
- drug treatment
- folk recipes
It is difficult to completely remove the increased eye pressure with folk remedies, so they must be combined with medications.
To improve the effect and relieve eye strain, it is better to combine basic treatment with gymnastics, especially with sedentary work. However, experts recommend consulting a doctor before starting a course of therapy at home. He will tell you how to treat eye pressure without harming yourself, and will advise on the most effective methods.
Treatment with folk remedies
Treatment of IOP with folk remedies is effective, safe and affordable. But it is worth remembering that before treating pressure with unconventional methods, you should consult your doctor and get permission from your doctor about your problem.
What to do with increased ocular hypertension? IOP can be removed using these simple and highly effective recipes:
- chop nettle and lily of the valley leaves. For half a glass of nettle, it is enough to take a teaspoon of leaves. A tablespoon of water is added to the resulting mass and applied to the eyes in the form of a compress,
- in equal proportions take coriander and anise. Dry raw materials should be poured with boiling water and let it brew. The drug must be drunk per day, and the next prepare a new solution,
- take a few fleshy leaves of aloe and boil in a little water for two minutes. Squeeze the juice from softened leaves and mix it with a decoction. The resulting product is used in the form of eye drops. There may be a slight tingling sensation, but this should not scare you,
- one liter of woodworm juice is mixed with one hundred grams of vodka. The product should be infused for several days. Ready tincture is consumed in a quarter cup twice a day. The medicine has a rather specific taste, so it’s better to drink it with water,
- make a cocktail of carrot, beetroot juice, as well as parsley juice and a drop of vegetable oil,
- use chicory instead of coffee,
- currant and mountain ash leaves pour boiling water. The resulting drink tastes good. It can be drunk throughout the day in the form of tea,
- boil a chicken egg. Peel, divide into two, and remove the yolk. The resulting protein halves attach to closed eyelids. They must remain in front of the eyes until they cool completely,
- in this recipe you will also need two halves of egg white, which are poured into a teaspoon of honey. Then you must send the eggs to the oven for half an hour. The resulting liquid is used as eye drops,
- make tea. After it cools, add a little honey. The resulting product can be used to dig in the eyes,
- make an infusion of dream grass, wild pear and nettle shoots. It should be taken before meals,
- mix small duckweed and celandine juice, and then add the same amount of water. The tool is used as a compress,
- you can bury your eyes with onion juice in combination with liquid honey and water,
- lowers IOP and honey compress. Mix honey and water in equal proportions. Moisten a cotton pad with this mixture and apply to closed eyelids.
Folk healers with increased IOP recommend making lotions from the infusion based on nettle and lily of the valley. To prepare it, you will need a glass of chopped nettle, as well as two teaspoons of lily of the valley flowers. All ingredients should be filled with 500 ml of water and let it brew all night. In the morning two teaspoons of baking soda are added to it.
It is also recommended at high IOP to make compresses from grated potatoes. Vegetables must be thoroughly washed, peeled and grated. Next, apple cider vinegar is added to the mass and allowed to brew. The mixture is applied to the tissue and applied to the eyes so that the forehead is also captured.
The use of herb euphrasia officinalis is of great benefit. Dry raw materials are poured with boiling water and insisted in a thermos. After the product has been filtered, it can be used to prepare compresses. Also, the resulting medicine is used in the form of eye drops.
Still experts advise to use dandelion eye ointment. The dried plant must be crushed to a powder state. In equal proportions, dandelion is mixed with honey. Six times a day with the medicine you received, you need to lubricate your eyes.
Means for internal use
Consider the most effective recipes that reduce IOP:
- grated dill seeds must be brewed in boiling water. The infused remedy is taken orally four times a day,
- the crushed oak bark is insisted on a glass of boiling water. The resulting infusion should be taken after waking up on an empty stomach,
- rosehip berries are poured with hot water and left to infuse for one week in a dark cool place,
- grind fresh blueberries through a meat grinder. Then mix the berries with honey and consume three tablespoons four times a day. Keep the product in the refrigerator,
- prepare a collection of the following ingredients: cinnamon, buckwheat, motherwort, ginger, lemon balm, licorice root. Two tablespoons of dry raw material, pour 500 ml of water. Take the infusion three times a day thirty minutes before meals.
But what about reduced pressure? Compared with hypertension, this problem is diagnosed much less frequently. The cause of hypotension can be inflammatory processes in the eye, surgical interventions, infectious diseases, and more. Very often, a decrease in IOP is a consequence of arterial hypotension.
The first symptoms of pathology are loss of shine in the eyes, as well as dryness and discomfort during blinking. Sometimes the only manifestation of eye hypotension may be a sharp deterioration in vision.
If you detect a problem at an early stage, it will be much easier to deal with it. To do this, you should regularly undergo preventive examinations and, if alarming symptoms appear, consult a specialist immediately. IOP can be measured using a Maklakov tonometer. The device allows you to get prints from both eyes. The measurement is carried out under local anesthesia. Currently, portable tonometers are being used more and more often, which will help determine the level of pressure with the help of an air stream.
There is also a palpation-orientational method of measurement. The patient should lower his eyes, fingers should rest on the forehead so that the indexes were at the level of the moving eyelids. One finger should fix the eye, and the other gently press the eyeball. Under normal pressure, the finger will feel small scleral impulses.
So, an increase in intraocular pressure can be a consequence of stress, bad habits, physical and visual overload. But most often, the appearance of this symptom indicates the development of glaucoma, a dangerous disease that can lead to complete blindness. Experts recommend a comprehensive approach to solving this issue. If you want to completely get rid of the problem, you will have to change your lifestyle, food and habits.
Folk recipes are a good addition to the main treatment with medications. They are easy to use, affordable, and most importantly, effective. Consult your doctor and find out which folk remedy can be used specifically in your case.
Power Mode Changes
People with diabetes, hypertension, and obesity are not as susceptible to the hormone insulin as healthy ones. As a result of this, their body independently produces insulin, which provokes an increase in intraocular pressure. To solve this problem, it is necessary not to use food products that cause a significant increase in insulin:
- White bread,
- pasta and bakery products,
- bakery products,
- root crops, etc.
Performing simple exercises daily can help reduce insulin levels in the blood, and thereby prevent the onset of ocular hypertension and the serious consequences of this disease. Insulin is a hormone that delivers glucose to the cells of the body, and if you regularly spend this energy with little physical activity (aerobics, morning jogging, cycling, walking before bedtime), the level of glucose in the blood will drop noticeably, and with it insulin . With a low (within normal) level of insulin, stimulation of the optic nerve will not occur, which means that the eye pressure will not rise. It is necessary to give physical education classes for 30-40 minutes a day at least three or four times a week.
The use of omega-3 fatty acids has a beneficial effect on the retina and helps prevent jumps in intraocular pressure. This acid is found in excess in fish of fatty varieties, such as herring, sardine, tuna. Eating such fish ten times a month will help reduce pressure. To stabilize the condition, you can increase the level of omega-3 fatty acids in the body with the use of fish oil and active additives based on seaweed. To achieve a good result, you need to take 3 mg of fish oil or 200 mg of algae-based food supplements daily.
You must also include antioxidant foods in your daily diet. They are found in abundance in blueberries, blackberries, blueberries and have a beneficial effect on the condition of the eyes, because they strengthen the capillaries and nerve endings in the eye muscles. Dark berries containing antioxidants effectively strengthen blood vessels, thereby reducing the risk of damage.
- While working in front of a computer or sitting on a TV, a person blinks several times less, which leads to rapid fatigue and overstrain. In order to relax your eyes, you need to quickly blink every 5 seconds for several minutes. This will reduce the pressure on the eyes, and they will again be ready to perceive the information.
- Close your right eye without pressing, hold it with your right palm for 30 seconds - this will help relax the eye, relieving stress from it. Then do a similar exercise for the second eye.
- Focus your vision on distant and close objects. This exercise strengthens the eye muscle and improves visual function. For ten seconds, look at the index finger extended in front of you (a distance of about 20 cm), then switch to some object located at least three meters from you. Alternately switch attention from the finger to the selected object and vice versa, for three minutes.
These simple exercises will help relax your eyes at home, thereby avoiding an increase in intraocular pressure.
Medications to normalize ophthalmotonus
You can understand how to lower eye pressure at home with medications by looking at this list:
- Beta blockers. They are created primarily on the basis of timolol. The functions of beta-blockers include reducing the synthesis of fluid inside the eye. Among the drops from this group, “Timolol” and “Cumol” can be distinguished.
- Anti-glaucoma medications. Preparations from this group contribute to better excretion of fluid, and basically have one active substance - latanoprost. Among them, Travatan and Glauprost are most often prescribed.
- Cholinomimetics. The essence of their action is to narrow the pupil and improve the outflow of accumulated fluid in the eye, due to which there is a decrease in eye pressure. Pilocarpine stands out from this group.
- Medications of combined exposure. Они сочетают в себе несколько основных действующих веществ и позволяют быстрее сбить высокий офтальмотонус. Среди них чаще всего используется «Фотил» и «Косопт».
- Омега-3. Она представляет собой набор жирных аминокислот, которые помогают насытить ткани глаза полезными веществами и предотвратить увеличение офтальмотонуса. Omega-3 is sold in the form of vitamin complexes and dietary supplements, for example, Vitrum Cardio Omega-3. You can get it from food by eating fatty fish.
If the problem is diabetes or hypertension, then a specialist can prescribe taking pills to stabilize blood pressure and glucose. In some cases, diuretics (diuretics) are used to remove excess moisture from the body, as this will reduce ophthalmotonus.
Even a doctor will not be able to say for sure how to reduce eye pressure with alternative methods, because by themselves they are ineffective in treating this problem. Such methods should be combined with the main course of therapy and only after consultation with a specialist. He will be able to assess the possible risk and advise on the optimal solution.The following folk remedies for eye pressure are mainly used:
- Tincture on wood lice. The medicine has a rather sharp taste, so it is better to drink it. You need to drink 50 ml 2 times a day. For cooking, you need to take 500 ml of woodlice juice, 50 ml of alcohol and mix them in one container. Put the finished mixture for 2-3 days in a dark place.
- Vegetable smoothie. It includes juice from parsley, carrots and beets in equal shares and 2-3 drops of oil, preferably olive. You need to drink 1 glass per day.
- Blueberries It lowers blood pressure well, especially with regular use. Berries can be consumed in pure form or prepare a decoction.
- Chicory. It can be used instead of coffee or tea as the main drink. It is sold both in pure form for the preparation of decoctions, and in soluble form.
- Rowan and currant tea. Their leaves must be taken in equal shares and pour boiling water. The finished medicine will be no worse than any other tea to your taste, and will allow you to normalize the ophthalmotonus.
- Onion juice. You can use it as a treatment for high intraocular pressure, but only by diluting it with water and honey in equal proportions.
- Baked eggs with honey. Such an unusual recipe helps to normalize the ophthalmotonus quite effectively. First you need to cook an ordinary chicken egg and cut it in half. Then 1 tsp. honey is poured into each half and put in the oven. The egg will have to be baked for 20-30 minutes, and then, the liquid accumulated in it can be used in the form of drops. It is necessary to drip the medicine into the eyes no more than 1 time per day.
Treatment with folk remedies implies the long-term use (at least a month) of the selected recipe.
If any side effects occur, you should stop using it and consult your doctor.
Many people sit for hours in front of a computer, not interrupting their rest. Usually this rhythm of life leads to an increase in intraocular pressure and a decrease in vision. If you do nothing for a long time, then glaucoma will begin to develop. Simple exercises for eye relaxation, which can be combined with traditional medicine and medicines, can help to avoid this. The course of therapeutic gymnastics is as follows:
- Blink quickly for 1 minute, and then repeat the exercise at an average pace.
- Drive closed eyes in a circle and diagonally for about 1 minute, and then open them and repeat the exercise.
- Look at the subject in front of you. Then look away. Repeat the exercise should be 4-5 times.
- Close your eyes and slowly draw a rectangle, circle and square.
- Start actively moving your fingers, arms extended forward. Gradually, it is necessary to move them towards you, without taking your eyes off this process. Repeat the exercise 2-3 times.
Daily experts recommend taking an ophthalmic contrast shower. To do this, you need to direct a stream of water into your eyes and alternately switch the temperature from warm to cool. Perform the procedure better in the morning. If you do this every day, the vessels in the eyeballs are well toned and the pressure normalizes.
Recommendations for the treatment of eye pressure
To make the treatment more effective, experts advise you to remember the following recommendations:
- For sleep, you need to choose a comfortable pillow, for example, orthopedic, so that the head remains in a slightly elevated position.
- Lighting during operation should always be good. In this case, the eyes will not strain much.
- Every hour you need to be interrupted to make an easy warm-up for the eyes. If you are working at a computer, then you can use tear substitutes of the Systein Ultra type 2-3 times a day to prevent them from drying out.
- Campaigns in cinemas and any other darkened rooms where you need to look into the distance for a long time should be limited.
- It is advisable to always leave the neck open for free circulation, that is, do not use butterflies, ties, tight sweaters, etc.
- When cleaning, cooking, repairing and other activities, it is necessary to avoid leaning forward, as intraocular pressure may increase.
- To monitor the ophthalmotonus, it is advisable to buy a special tonometer.
- Bad habits disrupt blood circulation, so they will have to be completely abandoned.
- The amount of fluid consumed per day should not exceed 2 liters. and it is advisable to give up strong tea, coffee and excessive amounts of salt.
- As much as possible, emotional upheaval should be reduced.
- You need to enrich your diet with vegetables and fruits to get all the necessary vitamins.
- Every day you need to walk, especially before bedtime. In addition, it does not hurt to go to the pool, start running and doing other sports.
- Daily eye and neck massage to normalize blood circulation and relieve tension.
If the increase in ophthalmotonus is caused by overwork and the patient quickly took the necessary measures, then the prognosis is usually positive. In the absence of any action, the disease will develop and glaucoma may occur. Patients with this diagnosis have a 75–80% chance of recovering with timely admission to the hospital. In other cases, complete blindness often occurs on one or two eyes at once.
Treatment at home eye pressure is possible, but only under the supervision of a doctor and after a detailed examination. After completing the course of therapy, you must definitely see an ophthalmologist.
He will check the ophthalmotonus and, if necessary, will advise other methods of solving the problem.