If the area around the nail is damaged, it can become inflamed. As a result of mechanical damage to the cuticle, a fungal infection can occur, which must be properly managed.
Inflammation of the skin around the nail can be accompanied by various unpleasant symptoms. These include swelling and redness of the cuticle. With severe inflammation, pain and itching can occur.
It is easy to injure the periungual tissue. It is enough to cut a lot of skin. Often this happens when a woman is in a hurry somewhere and she does not have enough time to put her hands in order. The consequences of such a rush can be not only small wounds that heal after a while. If a cuticle is injured, inflammation can develop. It occurs due to the entry of chemicals or infections into the wound. This can lead to serious problems, up to suppuration of the periungual tissue.
The main reasons for which the cuticle becomes inflamed can be attributed to:
- infection with a fungus,
- infection in the burr,
- allergic to varnish or liquid to remove it,
- cuticle damage with manicure accessories,
- Allergy to household chemicals.
Pay attention to cuticle damage on time, otherwise an inflammatory process may develop. With the defeat of the periungual tissue by bacteria, an abscess occurs between the nail and the cuticle. The area around the nail begins to hurt and itch. In people, such inflammation is called "hair."
How to treat inflammation of the periungual tissue
Even with purulent inflammation, cuticle treatment can be tried at home. If you are not sure that you can deal with the problem yourself, contact a specialist.
In order to relieve inflammation, you need to stock up on hydrogen peroxide, sharp tweezers, a bandage, nail scissors and iodine. Only having prepared the necessary tools for work, you can proceed directly to business.
With tweezers, the cuticle should be moved so as to make room for the abscess to exit. Press on the fingertip so that the pus comes out. Then rinse the area around the nail with hydrogen peroxide. After that, treat the wound with iodine and wrap your finger in a bandage. With proper treatment, the cuticle will heal in a few days. Sometimes, repeated washing of the wound with hydrogen peroxide is required.
If pus cannot be completely removed from the wound, you need to put a little Vishnevsky ointment on the infected area. After it draws out pus, the wound should be washed. If the infected area is improperly treated, extensive inflammatory abscesses can occur.
Cuticle inflammation is not always purulent. It may be accompanied by redness of the periungual tissue and itching. In order to cure the cuticle, you can use folk recipes or healing baths. As an option, you can consider a decoction of thyme and chamomile.
- Causes of inflammation
- Treating an Inflamed Cuticle
- Preventative measures
The skin located near the nail is quite thin and delicate. In addition, it is constantly exposed to environmental influences, comes into contact with various chemicals and receives mechanical damage. All these factors provoke inflammation of the cuticle, which needs treatment.
Causes of inflammation ↑
The inflammatory process of the cuticle is characterized by redness, the appearance of edema, in severe cases, pus appears, an unpleasant odor and pain.
The causes of cuticle inflammation include:
- The presence of burrs. If they are torn off, improperly processed, and manicured with non-sterile devices, then the appearance of problems is guaranteed.
- An unhealthy cuticle that is too thin or overgrown, dry, flaky, processed with damage to the integrity of the tissues.
- Microorganisms and fungal infections that enter the tissue.
- Mechanical damage in the form of bumps, cuts.
Treatment of an inflamed cuticle ↑
Depending on the nature of the cause of the inflammation, treatment methods are also determined.
Only a doctor can treat a cuticle affected by a fungus, because after self-treatment, not only can the skin condition worsen, but there will also be problems with nails. In addition, with a strong infectious process, a course of antibiotics is sometimes indicated. And any medicine is permissible to take only as prescribed by the doctor.
With a flaky cuticle, an important point for treatment is the lack of trimmed manicure. It is after it that the skin dries up, and cuts appear that open access to infections. The most correct decision is to do not trim manicure, in which the cuticle is carefully moved away with a special stick. After any procedures for nail care or household work, it is necessary to moisturize the skin around the nails with lotions and creams. And to do homework exclusively with gloves.
At the first signs of an inflammatory process around the nail, you need to thoroughly wash and dry your hands. If there is pus, then it must be removed by light pressure in the case of a shallow presence or compresses using the pulp of aloe leaves to pull out. Also, baths with strong saline (white vinegar, English salt) or the use of special ointments will help. After removing pus, the wound is disinfected with hydrogen peroxide, cauterized with iodine and covered with a bandage.
You can treat the cuticle after cleansing from suppuration or with slight inflammation around the nail at home or by contacting a specialist. Essential oils are the most popular treatments for treating and treating the skin around the nails. The most effective are grapefruit, apricot and castor oil. If you do the procedure regularly, then the inflammation will come off in a short time, and the nails and skin will become elastic.
To eliminate inflammation and improve the condition of the cuticle, you must:
- Lubricate lavender oil near the nail space. It is for them that it is best to treat inflamed tissues, since this is the strongest antiseptic.
- Apply an ointment consisting of calendula flowers and petroleum jelly. For 0.5 cups of dry matter, petroleum jelly is taken in an amount of 10 grams. After warming up in a water bath, the mixture must be infused for 10-12 hours. Then place in a convenient container, having previously filtered.
- Wipe the inside of the grapefruit peel. Thus, the cuticle can not only be disinfected, but also nourished with vitamins.
- To eliminate dying cells, it is necessary to rub corn flour once every seven days into wet fingers. This natural scrub cleans perfectly.
Preventive measures ↑
Treatment is always a long process and not entirely pleasant. Therefore, prevention is the necessary set of measures that will relieve diseases and help to avoid complications. To prevent inflammation, it is worth observing some rules:
- Pay attention to hand hygiene. Cleanse from contamination, properly and carefully care for the cuticle, do gentle manicure.
- All actions accompanied by exposure to the skin should be carried out with gloves.
- At the first sign of inflammation or wounds that have formed, carefully process and clean the damaged areas.
- Monitor the moisture balance in the skin, regularly apply moisturizing and nourishing ointments, creams, lotions, make baths and compresses.
- Do not manicure if cuticle inflammation begins.
These simple actions will help to maintain the health and freshness of both the cuticle and the skin as a whole. And they will avoid treatment, entailing temporary and material costs.