The child is supposed to sleep at least 10 hours. In many ways, this mode depends on the successful falling asleep. However, each parent knows that the more the child wants to sleep, the more, paradoxically, he does not want to fall asleep and get laid. As a result - the more capricious and naughty he behaves. Why does the child not want to go to bed? And how to put it? In fact, everything is not so complicated.
Why is the child acting up at bedtime?
Perhaps you are trying to make your baby sleep when he really does not want to. It is worth knowing several features about children's sleep:
- children have different sleep cycles,
- cycles vary depending on the child’s age, well-being and emotional state,
- children have a different sleep algorithm (individual characteristics of each child).
You cannot just make a child fall asleep. It is necessary to create appropriate conditions conducive to sleep, that is, a peaceful atmosphere.
Depending on age, the cause of the vagaries at bedtime may be different. The most popular are:
- health problems, poor health,
- reluctance to go to kindergarten or school the next day,
- fear of some event of the coming day,
- overexcitation (activity less than 2 hours before bedtime or severe emotional shock),
- nightmares (children often).
There is always a reason for trouble falling asleep. You can and should talk with an older child, discuss everything that worries him. Little children will have to be watched and it remains only to speculate, guess about the reasons, try to modify the conditions of falling asleep and daytime activities in different ways.
What to do?
Forget the goal of “putting your baby to bed.” Your goal is to educate the child in his attitude to sleep as something pleasant and safe, to form motivation. Therefore, categorically it is impossible to leave a crying and capricious child alone (“it will break through and fall asleep”).
Trying to postpone a dream, children, depending on age, go to different tricks:
- just cry and act up
- rub your eyes
- stick out in the bathroom for a long time,
- run to the toilet or drink,
- recall very urgent and important topics for conversation,
- realize that right now they need to eat, otherwise they will die of hunger.
Thanks to children's imagination and imagination, the list of tricks continues indefinitely, and more precisely, to the peak of parents' irritation and the phrase “So, that's enough, let's go to sleep. You have already eaten, drank, and washed. ” Then a child of any age can only make a scandal with tears and screams.
Of course, all parties are wrong, but to a greater extent parents. Instead of being touched by the child’s ingenuity, and then instantly annoyed and provoke conflict and scandal, remember a number of simple rules:
- Despite the general figures, each child gradually establishes its own sleep and wakefulness regime.
- Observe and reveal the individual mode of your child.
- Try to adjust your daily routine to fit your baby’s biological clock.
- As soon as you notice the first signals of the child’s readiness for sleep (decreased activity, depression of attention and a decrease in interest in activities, tilting the head, yawning, rubbing the eyes, swaying the doll or yourself, singing a song), do not hesitate, and then proceed to laying down.
- Whatever you do, set it aside and seize the moment. After all, the next convenient minute in the biological regime of a child can come only after a few hours.
- Always pack and wake up the child at the same time (weekends are no exception).
According to the average statistics of pediatricians, a child up to a year needs at least 12 hours of sleep. From a year to five years - from 12 to 14 (2 hours in the afternoon) hours. After five - adult mode. A full rest is very important for a child, as his nervous system is weak, but constantly gets a lot of impressions.
Child up to a year
Choose a deep and soft cradle so that the child in her feels like in your arms. But, of course, do not forget about the safety of the baby. Despite the popularity of lullabies, it is recommended not to mix games and relaxation. Making associations early will save you trouble stacking in the future. A bed is a place to sleep. No need to overload her with toys. In the future - no need to do anything else in bed (games, study, food).
It is not recommended to use bright colors in the interior of the room and especially in the fabric of the crib. It is better to choose monophonic soft shades, without elaborate and large patterns. Believe me, for a day the baby will find something to look at. But his own room should give only rest. It is useful to familiarize yourself with the features of children's color perception.
What to do before placing the child:
- ventilate the room
- draw the curtains
- normalize the temperature (optimal mode - 20-22 degrees),
- take care of the dryness and cleanliness of the child, put on comfortable nightwear,
- the selection of clothes depends on the temperament of the child (it will be more comfortable and quieter for someone in the diaper, and for someone without it),
- pick up the blanket depending on the temperature of the room and the child, sometimes it can be replaced with a sheet,
- don’t take away the breast, it’s good if the baby falls asleep with it (the substances that come with milk regulate the nervous system and the brain, put the baby to sleep),
- be calm and gentle at the time of motion sickness - the child feels everything,
- use stroking, lullabies and motion sickness,
- Noticing that the baby is napping, put him on his back in the crib.
All previous recommendations remain, but as the child grows up, the bed changes, the chest recedes into the background. Additional methods come to the rescue.
The old proven method of sending a child to the kingdom of Morpheus is a bedtime story. It should be voluminous, filled with magic, love and care. This is an option to communicate with the child and wish him good night.
Fairy tales are best chosen calm and lulling, telling them in the same calm voice. It is recommended to avoid adventure stories or emotional stories. Sleepy tales are suitable for children from 2 to 4.5 years old. I recommend finding a book by A. Berdnikova "How to cope with the vagaries." It contains several sleepy tales. Or look for material exactly on the request of "sleepy tales" on the Internet.
Laying the baby to sleep, follow these recommendations:
- Stories of trains with verbal accompaniment "chuh-chuh, chuh-chuh" are perfect for the story. Or about the wind with a characteristic "shhhhhhh."
- It’s nice to accompany the story with stroking the child.
- Avoid fast pace of speech and high intonation.
- It will be useful to connect the fairy tale with the real life of the child, his fresh memories.
- Avoid questions, calling the baby for dialogue. Just tell me, the more measured, the better.
- Include in the tale itself (its plot) a small lullaby.
- To make it even more interesting for you yourself, add notes of creativity: invent tales and lullabies yourself.
If regularly before going to bed the child will enjoy spending time with his parents, then gradually for the sake of this he will go to bed himself.
An addition to the tale may be the conduct of a ritual. This is the first hint that preparation for bedtime has begun. Of course, these should not be some highly active exercises that excite the psyche. For example, the scheme of going to bed may be: changing clothes, washing, watching the second hand (minute turn) or hourglass, turning off the main light, a fairy tale with a night lamp.
The child is still poorly oriented in time. Therefore, you should not dump the news of an urgent retirement to sleep like snow on your head. Hint, but not with the phrase “15 minutes left”, but with actions: make a noise in the bathroom, put a book of fairy tales in a prominent place, take out your pajamas and say that the time for waking up is over.
When to lay the baby separately?
Often parents are tormented by the question of when to start laying the child separately. In fact, everything is individual. It should be understood that, remaining all night alone, the child is secluded with his anxieties, feelings, fears, fantasies. But here, not everything is so simple:
- On the one hand, the desire of parents to protect the psyche of the child is understandable.
- But on the other hand, too long being in the parental bed is fraught with the development of independence. Left alone, the child learns to create a comfortable space on his own and fight his fears.
The best option is to prepare the child for the transition to his bed. Make him want it himself. To do this, you need to form a positive attitude towards sleep and personal space, present sleep in your crib as a privilege, not a punishment. Sometimes without suspecting it, parents reinforce the desire in the child to sleep with them, for example, saying "If you behave badly, you will go to your room." And, of course, there is no need to frighten the child with bogeys and other monsters. On the contrary, one can come up with a story that in his room the good fairy created a special atmosphere where only good dreams are dreamed. Or that cribs are designed specifically to show only interesting stories and help to have a good rest. Mom herself would have loved to sleep in a crib, but she is already an adult.
Remember that throughout the day you must take care of the child's upcoming bedtime. How the process of laying and falling asleep will take place largely depends on the events of the past day, the child’s activity, excitement, upheaval, the nature of the parent-child relationship as such and during a particular day. It is possible that the child is simply overexcited, because laying is problematic.
Older children, of course, need to explain the importance of the regimen, the sleep cycle, the significance of this “reset” for the body. The story of upcoming positive events has a beneficial effect on falling asleep. Focus on the amenities of the coming day. The child himself will want to fall asleep sooner so that these amenities come. Then your task is just to help a little, to create appropriate meditative, calming conditions.
Tips for parents to put their baby to bed
A child up to a year still does not knowingly relax when he wants to sleep. And children want to sleep, like adults, they just do not yet know how to do it. Therefore, you need to teach your child to fall asleep on their own and without tears. It is important to understand that all children are different and everyone’s sleep time will be different.
|It is worth learning to see signs of fatigue and to understand that the child wants to sleep.|
When a child begins to rub his eyes, is often irritated or becomes lethargic - this is a clear sign that it is urgent to put to bed. It is at this moment that it will be easiest to put to bed. Do not put off sleep when these signs appear for feeding, walking, washing or doing any of your business. Carry your child to bed or stroller immediately if you are outdoors.
If you do not put to sleep during, the child will overwork, become either too active or too capricious. Tantrums may begin, or, conversely, jumping. In this state, laying without tears will already be too difficult.
|If you are breastfeeding, the baby will fall asleep at the breast while breastfeeding. There are no difficulties with stacking. When you decide to excommunicate, then you will need to change the methodology of laying. You can feed before bedtime lying on the bed, so the child will not get used to the constant presence in his arms.|
|Before a night's sleep, you need to create a certain atmosphere - dim lights (you can turn on the nightlight), soothing music or a lullaby, relaxing massage. It is better to bathe the baby in a large bath before bed so that he can swim. Thus, the child is physically tired, which contributes to sound sleep.|
In order for the child to move while swimming, and not just lie, the water should be below body temperature. Water temperature decreases gradually. Start swimming at 36 degrees, after a couple of days, make the water a degree lower, etc. Thus, in two months you can bathe a child at 25 degrees. The main thing is that he should be able to move, to keep warm.
|The child can be rocked on his arms or in a crib with runners. Our ancestors always rocked children in cradles. When the child grows up, you will need to teach him to fall asleep without motion sickness.|
|In the evening, do not include cartoons for the child, and also do not create emotional outbursts. If the child is overexcited, it will be difficult to put him to sleep calmly. It is better to exhaust the child physically in the evening - go for a walk. A mother should do exercises and massage for a child of the first year of life. Also, before going to bed, feed your baby tightly. On a full stomach sleeps stronger.|
|Do not forget to ventilate the room before going to bed. Also adequately put your child to sleep so that he is not hot or cold. The optimum temperature for sleep is 18-20 degrees.|
|For better falling asleep, you can buy a nightlight projector that will broadcast stars (or something else) to the ceiling, and it also has nice music. Also, kids easily fall asleep when they look at a spinning mobile for a crib.|
Secrets of a sound sleep
In order for the child to quickly fall asleep at night, you need to create the necessary conditions for him:
- The temperature in the children's bedroom should be cool. Maybe up to 18 degrees, not every seven can withstand a temperature drop, but here it’s quite possible to provide 22-24 degrees,
- before going to bed, it is necessary to ventilate the room,
- A place to sleep should be comfortable and safe.
If the baby is sleeping with you, then remember that we are not hiding with a blanket. If a child sleeps in a crib, then for sleeping he needs an even hard mattress and no sides, ties, toys in a crib. Read more about how to choose a crib for a newborn >>>
Preparation for sleep
How to quickly put your baby to sleep at night?
In order to calm the baby’s nervous system before going to bed, it is very important to observe a certain daily routine.
- A few hours before bedtime, active games that require physical and emotional stress should not be allowed. Such activities excite the child’s nervous system, and he cannot fall asleep for a very long time,
- If the child is over 1.5 years old, then the best option in this case is a calm game that will help relax the baby,
- For children under 1 year old, a quiet pastime is quite suitable: consider toys, pictures. You can just pick up the child in your arms and do some household chores with him or just walk around. This will relieve the nervous system.
Bath and relaxing massage
- Bathing in warm water will help calm and relax the child,
- During water procedures before going to bed, do not use herbal decoctions or essential oils,
- It is very important not to allow excessive activity, splashing and games at this moment, otherwise you will achieve the opposite result, the baby will become overexcited and will not be able to sleep at night,
- After the bath, you can make a light relaxing massage or just gently stroke it on the back. This will help him calm down and tune in to sleep.
We put to sleep on the advice of Dr. Komarovsky
Dr. Komarovsky has his own view on how to stack children. In general, he actively campaigns to adhere to common sense in everything that relates to the health of the child. He also believes that you should not go on about the child and revolves around him around the clock, ignoring your own needs. After all, a tired, irritated, sleepy mother cannot create the necessary atmosphere and mood in the house. From here the problems in relations with the husband begin.
Very often, husbands after giving birth, go to sleep in another room, because they need to sleep. And the mother of the night wears the baby in her arms, shakes him, feeds him, etc. After a couple of months of this regime, mom turns into a zombie. And the question arises: how to put the child to bed quickly? How to make the child sleep for several hours in a row?
It is worth noting that all children are different and the result from using different methods will also be different.
So, I will write the main and main theses of Dr. Komarovsky regarding sleep.
Evening time schedule
Before laying the child, you need to start a certain sequence of activities (ritual), which will allow the child to develop the habit of easily getting to bed after them. This ritual may include:
- Hygiene procedures
- Putting on pajamas,
- Closing curtains,
- Light off
The routine items can be completely different, the main thing is that they do not cause increased activity. It is important to always follow the same procedure. It is he who will gradually prepare your baby for bedtime.
Read a useful article on the topic: Rituals before bedtime >>>.
Sleep in your crib.
Доктор Комаровский придерживается мнения, что ребенок должен спать в своей кроватке. У каждого человека должно быть личное пространство. И ребенка нужно научить уважать родительское пространство. Есть риск, что ребенка, который привыкнет спать с мамой, будет сложно приучить к своей кроватке. И бывают случаи, когда ребенок спит с мамой не только в первый год жизни, а гораздо дольше — до 6 лет и далее.
Children who sleep separately from their parents from birth have fewer fears, as confirmed by many studies. Also, sleeping a child with mom and evicting dad on a sofa or in another room can lead to serious problems in the family. Dad is rarely happy with this state of affairs. Komarovsky says: "Not a pack should live according to the laws of the cub, but the cub lives according to the laws of the flock." It is important in this matter, as in all others, to be consistent, to adhere to the decision made, not to be manipulated by the child in the form of hysteria.
The main reason mothers take their babies to themselves is the convenience of breastfeeding at night. After all, infants eat 2-4 times per night, depending on age. And not always my mother wants to get up, feed and again shift to bed. I also tried to teach my first child from birth to sleep in my crib, which was next to our adult. But often it turned out that taking the baby to feed me, I fell asleep and did not shift it back to the crib. And over time, I came to the conclusion that it is still more convenient to sleep together.
But this should not last long. Many mothers suffer from the fact that a baby often wakes up at night. And this is not 2-3 times, as I had, but it happens 10-15 times! And it is worth knowing that the child will eat at night until you breastfeed it. If you feed 1 year, then there will be one year at night. And if you decide to feed 2 or more years, then all this time there will be problems with night sleep.
Komarovsky says that breastfeeding is necessary for the baby to be immune. And it is necessary within one year after birth. After a year, the child is already transferred to ordinary food, his teeth appear. After a year, the baby does not have the nutritional need for breastfeeding. But this need can be emotional. And, if a woman wants, she can continue to feed the baby up to two years.
I will say from my own experience. The first child was fed 1 year and 1 month. All this time night feeding was present. When weaned, the baby began to sleep all night almost immediately. The second child was fed 1 year and 3 months. The story was exactly the same. While fed, until at night the daughter woke up. And this happens with almost everyone. You need to endure 2-3 nights, after you have decided not to give breasts at night. Further, the child will no longer wake up to ask for a breast.
The main thing is to stick to your decision. One can not stand and feed, another time endure. We decided not to give, so you need to bend your line and play by your own rules.
Therefore, if your child more than a year, and lack of sleep really hinders you from living and feeling good, you can decide to stop lactation or stop feeding at night. And you can communicate with the child not only by applying to the chest.
On the other hand, breastfeeding is convenient in that you do not need to think of any ways to put your baby to bed. The baby falls asleep at the chest. When the hepatitis B ends, you need to look for another painless way to put the baby to bed. I will continue to write about these methods.
Conditions for night sleep.
Important comply with all conditions for a long night's sleep of a child. If these conditions are not met, the child will often wake up, and he will often need to be put to bed. From this lack of sleep and conflicts in the family.
In order for the child to sleep well and often not wake up at night, it is necessary that:
- he had a comfortable bed and mattress,
- he ate tight before bedtime
- he was physically tired in a day, the doctor offers a technique when during the day “you need to torture a child”, be sure to take a walk before bedtime,
- he did not have emotional stress before bedtime (in the evening do not give new toys, do not watch cartoons, etc.),
- the room had humid air (50-70%) and it was not hot (the optimum air temperature is 18-20 degrees),
- before going to bed, you need to buy a child in a cool bath so that he doesn’t just sit, but moves in the water to warm himself,
- to fall asleep quickly, the child must WANT to sleep.
A child under two years old does not need a pillow at all. In children, the head is larger than in adults, other proportions. From two years, you need to put a dense pillow, about 2 cm thick.
If the child does not sleep well at night, there can be many reasons. And only you yourself can analyze them. The child may be cold. In this case, he needs to wear warm pajamas and not cover him. Then there will be no need to straighten his blanket at night. If the baby is under 5 months old, it can be swaddled for sleep. Then he will not wake himself with a wave of his arms and legs. I swaddled my children, and later dressed them appropriately to the temperature in the room.
If the room is stuffy and hot, the child will surely wake up from thirst. Then you need to give him water to drink. But it’s better to buy a humidifier and maintain high humidity. Then the baby will sleep much better.
Try to exhaust your child physically in a day. Walk more in the fresh air, walk on stairs, climb stairs, slides, etc. Physical activity promotes sound sleep. But emotional impressions are the opposite. The child is overexcited and making him go to bed is simply impossible. Therefore, all emotions are best experienced in the morning.
If a child sleeps a lot during the day, because of this he goes to bed late at night and sleeps little and poorly, he needs to be woken up early in the afternoon. Then the night's sleep will be stronger. There are times when a child after two years of sleep can be canceled if the child is very active. Here you need to look at your situation.
Rocking or not?
Rocking a child is not harmful to the child. But it can be difficult for mom, especially if the child already weighs a lot. There are times when a child is so used to sleeping in his mother’s arms that he does not want to sleep in a bed at all. I recently read the story of such a mother. She complains that the child sleeps only in her arms, when she puts him to bed, she starts screaming. And she has to sleep sitting all night! And while nothing helps to accustom the child to sleep in bed.
This situation is not harmful to the child. He is comfortable, warm and good. But the tortured mother is very bad. And in such a situation, there is only one way out - to make a decision and not step back a single step from it. The child fell asleep in his arms - put him in the crib. He screams, but he does not immediately need to pick him up. Stroke the child on the stomach, head, back. Speak calmly, soothingly. The main thing is not to despair and not be annoyed. Because this mood will be transmitted to the child. Turn on the sounds of nature or lullabies.
The first time a child can scream for a long time - an hour or two. Be close, do not leave the child alone, iron and calm. Next time he will calm down faster. For 3-5 times the child will already sleep peacefully in the crib. The main thing is not to deviate from the decision.
If you lay the child with motion sickness on your hands, then wrap it in a diaper or blanket, depending on the temperature. When the baby falls asleep, put him to bed on this blanket. This will keep mom's warmth and the child will not wake up from a sharp temperature drop.
I also rocked my children after excommunication. For me personally, this was the easiest way to put them to bed. After 10 minutes of motion sickness, they fell asleep, after which I put them in the crib. By the age of two, it became hard for me to physically rock them in my arms. And we switched to another way. I put the child to bed, sat down and stroked. Sometimes she sang lullabies or turned on soothing music.
Rituals before bedtime.
In order for the child to fall asleep faster, rituals must be performed every evening. Each family will have its own rituals, but they should always be the same. Starting from 6 months you can already begin to introduce these rituals. The child will associate these actions with sleep and it will be easier to fall asleep without whims and tears.
The most ancient ritual is a lullaby. You can sing lullabies from a very young age, the child gets used to and easily falls asleep. The only difficulty is to wean a grown child to fall asleep under lullabies.
The rituals include:
- evening bathing and brushing your teeth
- reading bedtime stories
- laying down toys
- evening relaxing massage
You yourself can come up with some kind of ritual that you will do only before bedtime.
Elizabeth Pantley "How to Lay A Baby Sleeping Without Tears"
Elizabeth Pantley's book is quite popular. The author is the mother of four children, in the book she shares her experiences and observations. I will write briefly the main provisions of this book, I will not go into details so as not to prolong the article too long.
1. At night, you should not give your child sweets and foods containing fast carbohydrates. Because it is a quick source of energy, and at night we need nutritious and satisfying foods, such as cereals and milk porridge, cottage cheese, milk, cheese.
2. If you are breast-feeding, do not eat foods in the evening that can cause bloating and colic in your baby (white cabbage, beans and other legumes, nuts), and do not drink coffee and tea.
3. Before going to bed, you need to follow a certain regimen and ritual, which will be repeated day after day. For example, a walk - dinner - swimming - reading fairy tales - calm music - turning on the night light - bed.
4. Try to arrange daytime sleep at the same time in order to set the child’s internal clock.
5. It is important to catch the moment when the child wants to sleep and, without wasting time, immediately lay down. You need to be able to notice the first signs of overwork: yawning, rubs his eyes, is naughty. If you miss this moment, then the child will no longer go to bed quickly and without tears. Then you still need to wait 2 hours for the right moment.
6. The author claims that many mistakenly believe that if you put the child to bed early in the evening, he will wake up early. The book says that if there is always a regimen, the child will sleep at night for a long time. Therefore, it can be put to sleep at 8-9 and he will sleep until 8 in the morning.
I don’t know how the author has, but my children will not sleep 12 hours at night if they were sleeping during the day. If the child is not laid during the day, then this scenario is possible. Moreover, the age of the child is still important. Therefore, I do not agree with this point. I agree more with Dr. Komarovsky, who advocates the late placement of children.
7. The book is written to move the night's sleep to an earlier time, this should be done gradually. Every day, lay the child 15-30 minutes earlier.
8. A child who rests well during the day sleeps better at night.
With this point, I also can not completely agree. If you sleep a lot during the day, then at night, most likely, the child will sleep less. Here you must decide for yourself how you prefer.
9. If the child woke up at night shortly after falling asleep, you need to immediately approach him while he is still sleepy. Immediately put it in a comfortable position or shake it on your hands, say your sleepy phrases, such as "t-sh-sh". Do not let the child cheer up, otherwise it will be difficult to put him to sleep again.
10. The sleep of a child and an adult is divided into cycles. Immediately after falling asleep, the sleep is the most powerful. At the end of the cycle, sleep is more sensitive. When adults reach the end of the cycle, they roll over onto the other side and fall asleep again. The child still does not know how to do it himself. He can wake up and look for sources of reassurance. Therefore, you need to teach your child to fall asleep on their own.
First you will get up to him to pick up, calm and shake. In this case, repeat the "sleepy phrase". A little later, it will be enough to stroke the child without taking him in his arms and say "t-shh". Even further, just the sound “t-shh” will be enough. Over time, the child will already learn to fall asleep at the end of the sleep cycle, like an adult.
11. You need to choose a baby toy for sleep. Or the child will choose it himself. It should be something soft, comfortable and pleasant to the touch. When you choose such a toy, put it first between you and your child while putting him to sleep. For example, breastfeed before bedtime and place this toy next to it. The child will get used to it, this toy will be associated with sleep, it will smell like a mother.
12. While laying the baby, turn on soothing music for relaxation. It can also be sounds of nature: the singing of birds, the sound of a waterfall or rain. The so-called “white noise” helps children relax and fall asleep. This may be the noise of a running washing machine, the sound of flowing water. Now on the Internet you can turn on and download a lot of such noises for babies.
13. You can give your children a nipple for falling asleep or a bottle. Only a bottle can lead to tooth decay and overeating. A nipple up to 3 months may worsen lactation, so it is better not to use it before this age. A dummy after 2 years can disrupt the bite and slow down the development of speech.
14. It is important that the child falls asleep in his crib, in a familiar environment, with his favorite toy. Then waking up, he will see the same place in which he fell asleep, will not be worried and will quickly fall asleep again. If the child fell asleep near his mother in his mother’s bed, and woke up in his bed, then he does not understand what happened and begins to cry. Imagine yourself in his place: fell asleep next to her husband, and woke up in the kitchen. It's a shame ...
15. It is not necessary for each squeak to give the baby a breast or nipple. Perhaps the child simply tossing and turning in a dream, but did not wake up.
16. Change is gradual. Rollbacks are also possible. That is, 2 steps forward, 1 back. But, if you adhere to one tactic, over time, the child’s dream will improve.
17. How long should the child sleep:
- newborn - 16-18 hours a day
- 1 month - 6-7 hours during the day and 8-10 hours at night
- 3 months - 5-6 hours during the day and 10-11 hours at night
- 6 months - 3-4 hours during the day and 10-11 hours at night
- 9 months - 2.5 - 4 hours during the day and 11-12 hours at night
- 12 months - 2-3 hours during the day and 11-12 hours at night
- 2 years - 1-2 hours during the day and 11-12 hours at night
- 3 years - 1-1.5 hours during the day and 11 hours at night
I wish all the mothers and fathers more patience. If you react appropriately and calmly, then you will learn how to quickly and without tears put your child to bed.
Sleep in infants
The baby sleeps most of the day, but sometimes it can be difficult to lay him up at night. This may be due to various problems:
- the child mixed up day and night (related article: The child mixed up day and night, what should I do? >>>),
- feeling hungry
- I’m used to falling asleep in my parents’s arms,
- falls asleep only during breastfeeding,
- I got used to sleep at night only after motion sickness.
The child falls asleep for a long time: what to do?
The baby’s nervous system needs a smooth transition from activity to calm. Therefore, it is important to devote most of the time to the ritual of relaxation, which we have already discussed above.
But there is another important point - the regime of the day.
Know! If during the day the child does not get enough rest, his nervous system gets tired and overwork begins.
Most likely you have experienced this condition at least once: come home, tired, it seems that you just put your head on the pillow and immediately fall asleep.
However, when you go to bed, turn around for hours, spin, and just can't fall asleep.
In children, it is similar. The child is tired and wants to sleep, but the nervous system cannot get out of the peak of excitement and the baby suffers, cannot fall asleep. This is precisely the main reason that the child falls asleep for a long night.
- Establish a daily routine by age. We have a lot of articles on this site devoted to this issue (read, for example, the article: What time to put the child to bed? >>>),
- Do not forget about the mood for sleep, relaxation,
- To be near the child, to create calm conditions for him to fall asleep.
By the way! Some children react very much to wet diapers. Do not want to fall asleep or wake up in a dream. To avoid this, always buy diapers in size and good quality. So you can provide a good night's sleep for yourself and your baby.
Remember that absolutely all babies feel the emotional state of their mother. In order for your baby to quickly fall asleep and sleep soundly at night, first of all, they should feel the peace of a loved one.
Calm mother is the key to a good night's sleep.
With sleep habits, as well as building the right daily routine, we work on the online course How to teach a child to fall asleep and sleep without a chest >>>