Often the small size of the apartment makes us choose practical, but not absolutely safe elements for the house. These include modern designs for moving between floors. More and more often, owners of small private houses and two-story apartments give preference to compact duck-type staircases, spiral structures, stairwells on racks. Such systems do not always meet safety requirements and standards and pose a particular danger to young children. In order to protect the child from injuries and bruises, precautionary measures should be taken and safety gates for children should be purchased. What features a children's partition has and how to choose a gate - read the article.
Protection on the stairs from children: types of fences
Manufacturers of children's furniture today offer a huge assortment of safety gates in a wide range of prices and design solutions. In order to choose the most suitable product, you should understand their types and characteristics.
So, on the market today there are:
- Fixed doors with one leaf, the width of which corresponds to the installation site. Such partitions are stationary structures with balusters and parental safety locks. Fixed fences can be placed on the stairs leading to the basement, in the attic, second floor, used as a door in the arena, limiters for the duration of minor repairs or installation works in the apartment or house.
- Folding - mobile partitions in the form of an “accordion”, which are easy to mount in door and stairways, fold and unfold. Folding systems can be two-tier and three-leaved, they allow to block both marching stairs, as well as structures on bolets, stairs of the duck step type. In addition, such doors allow you to protect the place for games, they can often be seen on the premises and in kindergartens, in nurseries in schools.
- Sliding - universal barriers with adjustable width, which can form both a protective barrier-door and a screen for a fireplace, stove, household appliances. Such fences allow you to close even non-standard, wide stairwells and doorways.
In addition, children's protective fences are screen and trellised. Screen partitions are structures with a dense, transparent glass processed along the edges, lattice - systems with vertical balusters.
A solid mesh can be used as a gate, and a plastic stop to fill the voids between the side elements of the stairs. The sides for the bed from which the baby grew are also suitable, if their height is large enough so that the child can climb over them.
Safety gates for children on the stairs: what is it
Today, the most popular furniture is from the Ikea distribution network. And this is no accident: the furniture is distinguished by high-quality fittings and a stylish appearance. These qualities make the security gate from Ikea the most sought after.
In addition, the gates from the Dutch trading company are distinguished by a convenient installation method: the structures are located between balusters or door frames and are fixed using mobile, screw struts.
What design features should protection on the stairs from the child
Protection for the stairs has in its design a lattice frame, a gate and a lock. The lock must be represented by a locking mechanism or multi-latch.
Often, fences have not only assembly mechanisms in place, but also additional elements (screens, nets, partitions) that can be used to enclose household appliances, fireplaces, and traumatic corners.
The requirements for the design of children's partitions contain GOSTs, Sanitary norms and rules. So, for example, according to SANPiN, for children's fences, the use of elements coated with paints and varnishes harmful to health is not allowed. And the height of the gate for children, according to GOST, should be at least 90 cm.
How to choose a children's fence for stairs
In order for the gate to bring maximum benefit, you need to consider some of the nuances when choosing them.
- The children's fence should be made of environmentally friendly material (for example, raw wood, corrosion-resistant, anodized metal, etc.).
- Structural elements must be firmly connected, preferably glueless (for example, tenon groove).
- It is better that the protective door has a self-locking lock in its design: this device will help keep the system closed, which is extremely important, because, often, we do not notice how we do not completely close the doors.
- The fence should be adjacent to adjacent walls, balusters and steps, so that the child could not crawl into the gaps.
The operation of the gate should be simple and convenient. It is better to choose a gate with a 180-degree turn: they will make it possible to conveniently use the gate even if the parent's hands are busy.
How to make do-it-yourself children's safety gates for stairs
If you could not choose a finished product that meets the wishes of your parents, norms and standards, then you can, quite easily, make a fence with your own hands.
To do this, you need:
- Take measurements from the stairs (measure the width of the flight of stairs),
- Decide on the type of construction (barrier or gate),
- Prepare materials (for the barrier - purchase a frame and durable glass, gates - wooden, processed bars),
- Assemble the structure using self-tapping screws and hinges.
You can optionally equip the gate with rubber pads on structural elements that will protect the child from injury and prevent the baby from chewing on the crossbars.
As temporary partitions, you can use improvised means: backs from cribs, tightly and often stretched, wide, durable, fabric strips, etc.
What is a safety gate for children on the stairs (video)
If you follow all the recommendations for choice, the gates for children on the stairs will become a practical system that can protect the movement of your child in the house and protect him from injuries and bruises. Today, manufacturers offer a wide range of fences, which will not only become an effective acquisition, but also fit perfectly into the interior of the apartment. And if you don’t get the right fence, don’t despair, you can always make a do-it-yourself collar!