With the onset of spring, the pleasure of the gentle sun and green grass is received not only by people, but also by pets, getting the opportunity to relax and frolic while traveling outside the city. However, such a pastime in nature can be overshadowed by the attack of flies. Bites of flies, which sometimes bite to blood and corrode the skin before the formation of wounds, cause the dog not only great discomfort, but also often cause very dangerous diseases, such as anthrax, sepsis, staphylococcal infection and tularemia. Therefore, every caring owner of a four-pet should know what to do if flies gnaw on a dog’s ears.
How to treat a dog’s ears from flies
A person is able to protect himself from bites of annoying insects with the help of various drugs. In contrast, animals cannot do this on their own. If flies eat the ears of a pet, to prevent negative consequences, it is necessary to protect the dog by providing it with timely assistance. You can drive away annoying insects with the following drugs.
Remedy for flies for dogs, which is available in the form of a spray. Diethyltoluamide acts as the active substance in it, menthol and camphor are used to enhance the effect. The protective effect of the composition is maintained for 4-8 hours from the time of application of the product. If the animal is exposed to rain or bathed in a nearby body of water, re-treatment is necessary.
The spray from flies is applied to the ears of the pet, preventing it from reaching the mucous membranes of the eyes and mouth. Side effects are possible, which manifest as an allergic reaction, urticaria, dermatitis.
You can treat the dog at home with Neocidol. The antiparasitic agent for flies, scabies mites and other blood-sucking insects based on diazinon is a concentrated emulsion of light brown color with a light pleasant aroma.
Processing is carried out at the rate of 0.05% emulsion 1 time in 9-10 days. Do not use the composition of sick and malnourished animals.
A drug for fighting flies, ticks, lice and other ectoparasites in animals, the basis of which is transmix, tetramethrin and fillers. The active components affect the central and peripheral nervous system of arthropods.
When used in recommended doses, the composition is completely harmless to warm-blooded animals. The drug is used at the rate of 1 ml of product per 200 ml of water. The solution treats not only the ears, but the entire body of the dog. A single treatment protects the pet from re-infection for 2-3 days.
Preparations for treating dogs from flies
The flies on the dog will not leave wounds if the pet's ears are treated with an aqueous Butox solution. The active substance of the insectoacaricidal preparation is synthetic pyrethroid deltamethrin, due to which the composition is effective against flies, ticks, midges, bedbugs, water-eaters and other parasites. When arthropods enter the body, this substance inhibits the activity of peripheral nerves, resulting in their paralysis. Subject to the recommended dosages, an aqueous emulsion is not dangerous for four-legged pets.
If flies bite the ears of dogs, it is necessary to treat the skin and coat of the animal with an aqueous Butox solution, which is prepared in a proportion of 1 ml per 4 liters of water. Long-haired breeds of dogs can be bathed in such a solution entirely. In a more concentrated form, the composition is used to combat ticks using 1 ml of emulsion in 1.3 liters of water.
At peak activity, the dog should be treated with a solution every week. Spraying of the animal begins with the ears, tail and paws are treated last.
The use of folk remedies
If flies sit on a dog and bite behind their ears, you can use folk remedies that are available in almost every house.
- Anoint the ears of the dog with a decoction of bay leaf, for the preparation of which 100 g of raw material per 200 g of boiling water is used. The cooled infusion is filtered and used to treat dog hair, avoiding the composition in the eyes and mouth of the pet. The tool is effective not only against flies, but also ticks.
- If parasites eat around the ears of a pet, it is enough to drip tea tree essential oil on an undamaged area of the skin. The aroma of this remedy will serve as a good protection against annoying parasites.
- The skin on the dog’s ears can be saved from the attack of flies if it is lubricated with vinegar (200 g of water is combined with 1 tsp of vinegar). The smell of vinegar will deter pests from the pet.
To get rid of annoying parasites, you can use birch tar, ichthyol ointment or the same petroleum jelly. Their smell will scare away the bloodsucker dog. Some dog breeders even use solidol for this purpose. However, many pets tend to get rid of such a composition with an unpleasant odor, wiping their ears with their paws or pumping out in the grass, which can independently damage the skin.
How to treat fly bites
If the bites of the flies still could not be avoided and as a result of this the wounds formed on the dog’s ears, then in order to cure them, it is necessary to wash the affected skin areas with Chlorhexidine. Then they should be regularly smeared with Levomekol. The juice of plantain, bitter wormwood, bird cherry, wild mountain ash or tansy also contribute to early healing.
If the flies begin to bite the ears of the dog, it is necessary to immediately help the pet using any of the above means. Otherwise, the wounds will begin to inflame, causing the pet pain and suffering.
Lighter flies are one of the most common species of dipterans, closely related to human housing. Most often, their clusters can be seen in the crib, house, next to grazing cattle. They differ from ordinary flies in their food preferences. The main source of their vital energy is the blood of animals.
Due to the proximity of domestic dogs to the place of keeping livestock, they get no less from these unpleasant insects.
Flies bite to blood the most vulnerable places on the animal’s body - nose, face, ears. Most often, flies bite the ears of dogs, since in this place the coat is very short and there is access to open areas of the skin.
Two-winged predators corrode the skin, leaving open wounds behind me. The dog cannot drive them away on time and is subjected to frequent bites. To save a faithful friend, the owners must know how to treat the dog’s ears from flies.
Flies bite the dog’s ears
What scares off flies
If these insects occur in the house or in the yard, especially if they appeared immediately in large numbers, it is necessary to begin an immediate fight.
The main helpers of a person in such a difficult matter are, first of all, some plants that can scare away intruders with their pungent smell:
- geranium or lavender, which is enough to place on the windowsills of your house,
- tansy, wormwood, bracken fern: bunches of these plants can also be spread out on the windowsill or hung in the corner of the room,
- peppermint, allowing its use both in fresh and in dried form,
- bay leaf: it is known that from the smell of this plant flies die in a couple of minutes,
- ledum, leaves of mountain ash and chestnut, juniper branches, dry peel of citrus fruits - all this also has a detrimental effect on flies.
The odors of kerosene and vinegar can scare away these unpleasant insects. So, in order to combat flies, it is recommended to use sponges or rags soaked in vinegar and laid out near windows or in the kitchen, and the floor can be washed with water with a little kerosene (40 ml per bucket of water), which, of course, is undesirable if in the house small children or animals are present.
Get rid of flies in the house
Today there is a whole range of tools used in the fight against data insects, and many of them can be either acquired or made independently. A rather big choice makes an individual approach possible, thanks to which you can use chemicals, as well as completely safe methods.
- Ultrasonic devices used exclusively in the home. High-frequency radiation of such devices is very harmless to humans, but on adult flies they act in a destructive way.
- Electric insecticidal lamps. They are also completely harmless and silent, can work for days. By emitting ultraviolet light that attracts insects, the device kills them when approaching a current discharge. Some of these devices have adhesive sheets that prevent flies from falling to the floor and, thus, preserve cleanliness around themselves.
- Adhesive tape as the most budget option. It doesn’t look quite aesthetically pleasing, but by
efficiency is not inferior to other means. The tape can be made with your own hands, spreading strips of paper with prepared viscous substance. This mixture is prepared on the basis of rosin or pine resin, heated in a can in a water bath, after which sweet ingredients are added to it: sugar syrup, jam or honey.
- Special plates that vaporize an insecticide from their surface and kill such way flies.
- Essential oils that have a pungent odor that can scare off insects, including flies: lavender, eucalyptus, cloves, mint.
- Special aerosols as a method of struggle in a difficult situation, that is, when flies are divorced in huge quantities. After using such toxic agents, it is necessary to open windows and doors in order to carefully ventilate the room.
In this simple list, you can include the above plants, which scare away flies with their smell and prevent them from entering the house.
In the yard and on the street
Using these plants, you can escape from flies and in the yard, it is enough to plant elderberry or bird cherry, mint or lavender, tansy or amorphous, castor oil plant or honeysuckle on the site. Tomato leaves also tend to irritate with their smell and drive away flies. Do not forget about carnivorous plants, such as Venus flytrap and Nepentes.
In addition, the following options are suitable:
- sticky tapes
- portable devices are the same insecticidal lamps
- fumigators that fumigate insects with toxic gases for them,
- special solutions and suspensions prepared from poisonous powder (for example, Agit), a solution that is harmless to humans is applied to the walls of the house from the outside, and the suspension is sprayed in the air.
All these methods, especially if applied in combination, will allow you to get rid of uninvited guests for a long time.
Folk remedies for flies and mosquitoes
A good alternative to well-known advertised remedies are all kinds of folk recipes. Let's consider some of them.
- Home-made poison, which can be obtained by mixing two teaspoons of sugar and a teaspoon of black pepper. This mixture must be scattered in small saucers and put in places where flies are most present.
- The same should be done with the solution obtained by mixing milk, formalin and sugar.
- To perfectly cope with flies, a bait based on saccharin, the worst enemy of these insects. To obtain it, you will need one glass of water, 2 g of saccharin and 20 g of honey. It is necessary to soak the newspapers with such a solution, and then lay them out on the windowsill of your apartment. The flies landing on them will die soon.
- Flies and mosquitoes are insects sensitive to pungent odors. If you wash the windows and doors with a solution with the addition of vinegar, vodka, castor oil or turpentine, the insects are unlikely to want to enter the house.
- The poison, prepared on the basis of chlorophos, also flawlessly cope with its task. The recipe for its preparation is quite simple: you need to add half a teaspoon of sugar and ¼ teaspoon of chlorophos to the water, then pour the liquid into small plates and place, for example, in kitchen cabinets, that is, in an area inaccessible to children and animals.
The positive effect of the use of alternative methods will only increase if their use is combined with special devices or adhesive tape.
How to protect animals from flies
Not only people suffer from annoying insects, but also animals, which also experience discomfort from contact with flies, need our care and protection from them. Most of all, the animals kept on the street suffer: yard dogs, horses and cows, which hungry flies literally bite alive. In place of bites, wounds and pathogenic microflora appear, the skin begins to suffer and rot. It is not worth launching a similar situation, measures to combat must be taken immediately.
To protect animals from bites of flies, both repellents are used, that is, those means whose function is to repel, as well as insecticides, substances aimed at killing insects. Frightening agents are applied to animal hair similarly to flea drops: to the spine, to the back of the head and withers (Bayofly and Flybyte) The actions of such drugs last for a long time, mainly three weeks.
Widely known Agitadissolving in warm water and spraying onto any surfaces, windows and doors. Special sprays made on the basis of pyrethine, permethrin and malathion, paralyzing insects are also used. But unlike the Bayofly preparation, the action of the spray is limited in time - it is only a few hours, which is a significant minus. Aerosols are also applicable, but it should be remembered that there should be no animals at the time of using the chemical in the room.
What is the danger of flies
Everything was not so bad if the essence of the problem consisted only in psychological discomfort. However, do not forget that flies are not such harmless insects, because on their feet they can carry thousands of bacteria that cause various serious diseases: helminthiasis, diphtheria, tuberculosis, cholera, anthrax, conjunctivitis, dysentery, salmonellosis, typhoid and typhoid fever .
These insects are carriers of such epidemiological diseases for the simple reason that their favorite habitat is feces, compost pits, landfills, decaying corpses of animals. Having walked through all these unpleasant places, flies penetrate a person’s house, sit on food left on the table, on fruits lying in a vase, on jam that is not covered by a saucer.
And then there is another health hazard: the fly can not only infect food with bacteria, it can delay the larvae, which in the future, along with food, will enter the human body, which is fraught with skin, gastrointestinal and genitourinary diseases. In addition, individual individuals can inflict bites, causing a strong irritant reaction on the skin.
These frightening factors are a good reason to fight against unpleasant insects.
But it should be understood: in order not to start a war with flies, mud lovers, certain preventive measures are necessary:
- maintaining cleanliness in the house at the proper level: frequent wet cleaning, timely waste disposal,
- lack of any food on the table,
- regular cleaning of the pen for livestock (if any), watering manure with a solution of karfos,
- mosquito nets on the windows,
- pots of geraniums on the windowsills of the house,
- plants with a pungent smell, planted on the site: tansy, lavender, wormwood, elderberry bushes and bird cherry trees.
Compliance with this series of rules will not only help get rid of annoying insects, but will not make you face such a problem as flies indoors.
Remedies for flies
There are several ways to protect a dog from insatiable bloodsuckers:
- treat the dog with special preparations for the sinus,
- use folk remedies
- repel insects with natural repellents.
Popular remedies for biting flies are ointments, sprays. They are convenient to apply and take with you to nature or to the country. Before use, be sure to carefully read the instructions and observe all safety precautions.
Before buying the drug, it is recommended to visit a veterinarian and consult. Some insecticides can cause an allergic reaction in a pet.
Before treating pet bites, you need to carefully examine it for damage. If the dog has only a few bites on the ears, you can limit yourself to the use of deterrents at home. In the neglected case, when flies eat up most of the surface of the ears, it is necessary to treat the pet with special insecticidal preparations.
The modern market for animal medicines is represented by numerous brands with various forms of release. Most of these flies are primarily intended for horses and cattle. They are also suitable for dogs. The following drugs will help get rid of annoying sinus:
- Mustang is a water-based emulsion containing zetacypermethrin pyrethroid. The American remedy for flies for dogs is also suitable as for horses, only the consumption will be less by an order of magnitude. The emulsion is diluted in water and sprayed on the body of the animal. Препарат является надежной защитой от летающих насекомых и от иксодовых клещей.
- Мухоцид – эффективный спрей от мух, предназначенный для обработки крупного рогатого скота, но способен уберечь и собак. The action lasts about 6-8 hours, but if the pet gets into the rain or after washing it, you need to repeat the procedure.
- Ointment Off from horseflies well drives away flies on a dog. Unlike spray, ointment can be gently applied only to those areas that are most susceptible to insect bites. Smear the product with a thin layer, then wash your hands thoroughly.
Purchased insecticides from flies
The first protective measures against henna began to be carried out in villages, based on the experience of older generations. Insects are very sensitive to some pungent odors. Many animal protection methods are based on this principle.
Flies do not sit on the dog if the dog’s ears are greased with grease. The specific smell and oily consistency repel midges. The disadvantage of this method is the manifestation of patience on the part of the dog, which is clearly unpleasant solidol as an ointment.
If the infection with the flies is so extensive that they have time to lay their eggs, you must immediately show the dog to the veterinarian. The presence of white insect larvae in open wounds can lead to serious consequences.
Another folk remedy for flies that eat the ears of four-legged friends is vinegar. Rubbing the wool with a weak solution will help get rid of the annoying sinus. You can protect and even cure damaged skin with tar. You can anoint the ears of the dog with a concentrated product itself or use tar tar soap. Its soap solution has antiseptic properties and is able to heal small wounds.
Many plants effectively repel flying bloodsuckers from animals. If the yard dogs are bitten by flies over the ears, sprigs of plants are laid out around the kennel or aviary:
As the branches dry and wither, they need to be updated. Plant aromas are soothing to the dog, protecting them from ticks, fleas, midges. Chamomile broth can be used as an antiseptic to wipe wounds on the ears. Essential oils based on lavender and eucalyptus are dripped onto a cotton swab or piece of cloth and placed next to the kennel.