How to motivate staff: 24 ways
Personnel motivation is one of the main questions of all managers and personnel managers of companies that value their reputation and trust of employees. It is enough to recall the key phrase of many managers - cadres decide everything. After all, the success of the company largely depends on the qualifications and full commitment of employees in their work. For the success and stable development of the company, an effective, competently built staff motivation becomes a prerequisite. For effective motivation, it is necessary for each employee to ensure a sense of his important role in the work of the company, so that he is interested in responsible work with enthusiasm for the benefit of his organization.
Before considering the basic principles of effective staff motivation, managers need to exclude common stereotypes from their thinking:
- employees do not like to work,
- employees are absolutely indifferent to the quality and effectiveness of their work,
- employees will never be satisfied with their salary,
- if people are happy with everything in their company, then their salary is too high,
- Without constant monitoring, workers will begin to evade their work.
The leader needs to believe in his employees, only then you can proceed to the consideration and implementation of various ways of motivating staff.
Properly organized staff motivation will help to increase the efficiency of employees. It is known that high motivation contributes to a better and more efficient work of an employee. His great return to work will allow him to achieve better results, with improved prospects for the company, strengthening its position and increasing the number of sales and income.
Consider effective ways to motivate staff, which can rightly be called "eternal."
Ways to motivate staff
1. Praise your employees. Praise is an important condition for employee loyalty to management and the entire company. It will not be difficult for the authorities to once again say “thank you” to the employee for the work done. For example, thanks to the secretary for a competent schedule of meetings. It’s just enough to say “thank you” so that in the future the secretary would be interested in managing his functions more effectively.
2. Contact the employee by name. In small companies, managers know their employees by name. But with a constant increase in the number of employees, certain difficulties may arise with remembering the names of all employees. The director general of the LiveInternet portal German Klimenko recommends fixing the names of employees in the diary if there are problems with remembering everyone. Employees work in his company for 15-20 years - and experience confirms that nothing sounds nicer for a person than his own name.
3. The provision of additional recreation. Many managers can confirm how important it may be for employees to have extra rest in the form of time off, the opportunity to come back later or leave work early. Such privileges are not always offered and not to everyone - you need to earn such a right. For example, the editorial board of the magazine “General Director” allows the author of the most popular Facebook post of the week to leave early on Friday. Such staff motivation has proven itself in practice.
4. Presentation of souvenirs. Widespread staff motivation (especially for employees of manufacturing enterprises). Workers are awarded with diplomas, cups and other symbolic awards. Andrey Medvedev, General Director of Industrial Power Machines, was convinced in his experience how effective such an approach could be. His factory employees liked it, such an encouragement was honored. But at the same time, gifts turned out to be an effective way of motivation not only for employees of manufacturing enterprises. Also, do not forget about the families of their employees. Sometimes a great gift to the employee’s wife is more effective motivation than giving it to yourself.
5. Prospects for career growth. Quite effective staff motivation, according to the employees themselves. Indeed, career prospects can inspire and motivate to achieve excellent results in work, contributing to the success of the company. The employee understands that he has a chance to achieve new positions and prospects in the company thanks to his efforts. In particular, in the practice of Econika, 15% of employees receive an increase annually. Also, many companies adhere to the practice by which their top managers from ordinary managers are nurtured.
6. Clear objectives and evaluation criteria. A third of directors adhere to transparent systems in setting goals and monitoring the results. In particular, the director of Corus Consulting CIS Ilya Rubtsov adheres to such priorities - draws up a schedule on a sheet in A3 format. The vertical axis of such a graph becomes a reflection of the importance of the task, the horizontal indicates the complexity. He sticks a sticker on the chart with completed tasks - to clearly reflect priorities.
7. An opportunity to express your opinion and be heard. In the work of the company, many managers prefer to involve their companies and ordinary employees in solving global problems. It is important for the employee to feel the significance of his contribution to the overall development of the company. In addition to motivating employees, this approach allows you to get quite useful ideas and recommendations from employees, because they know the principle of the company’s work much better, since they work directly with customers. This approach will help to identify various controversial, weaknesses in the company's work. In particular, the co-founder of the Tonus Club network, Irina Chirva, offers her employees to determine 3 indicators by which their work will be evaluated. Based on the responses received, she was able to formulate a KPI rating system by implementing it in the company's activities.
8. Personal contact with the head of the company. The importance of personal contact with employees with whom management is not required to meet in terms of status. Many famous entrepreneurs, successful businessmen resort to this approach. For example, world business legend Richard Branson decides to respond to letters from his employees personally. ArmstrongMachine CEO provides each employee with salary checks personally, wondering if there are any problems. In his work, Steve Jobs invited subordinates for long walks, during which he had the opportunity to discuss issues or problems in a relaxed atmosphere.
9. Free lunch. Some companies organize free meals once a week. One of the days, free delivery of sushi, pizza, etc. is arranged for employees. Such motivation of the staff found the main distribution in the work of IT companies.
10. Board of Honor. The motivation of the staff involves the recognition of the results and achievements of the employee for a certain period. In particular, McDonald's is known for its “Best Worker of the Month” stands, and the Fitness Center 100% network names the best employees on internal radio. In addition, the best-performing employee seeks to maintain his leadership, while others will seek to impose competition and surpass the winner.
11 Ability to work at home. Only a quarter of managers and entrepreneurs in our country provide employees with the opportunity to work on a flexible schedule or remotely. But experience suggests that at home employees, productivity increases by 15%. Although representatives of not all posts and specialties can work at home.
12. The honorary title of the employee. A fairly common way to motivate staff. Indeed, it is important for many employees in communicating with their friends to use a beautiful, honorable, and not a standard job title. In particular, now the wipers in the company "Martika" (Barnaul) are called "laborers."
13. Corporate gatherings. 10% of managers in our country periodically assemble their team for various holidays in bowling, bar, etc. Many employees like this approach with informal evenings. Excellent opportunities are created for joint leisure in a relaxed atmosphere, and just a great chance to relax, gain strength before future work successes.
14. Public thanks. For example, the director general of the network of children's goods stores “Beloved Children” every day goes through the offices in the central office, noting also thanks to employees who have successfully completed their tasks. Gratitude turns out to be much more important if it is supported by a useful gift. Usually a small presentation is enough, although sometimes it can be serious - for example, a ticket to a sanatorium. Public gratitude is very pleasant to the employee. But try to express your gratitude correctly so as not to affect the feelings of other employees.
15. Discounts on services. A rather effective motivation of personnel in various organizations is corporate discounts for employees on various goods and services of their company. Employees perceive their savings positively, loyalty to the company is increasing. If the company specializes in several areas in its work, then just providing these corporate discounts is indispensable.
16. The provision of bonuses. All employees at the end of the year expect to receive various gifts, bonuses and bonuses from the employer. They can be issued for the achievement of goals and plans - providing motivation for employees. When counting, you can use the nonlinear scale. Payment of 100% bonus upon reaching the set goals is 90% or more, 50% - if the goals are achieved by 80%, if this indicator is less than 70%, then no bonuses are provided. The size of the bonus may be equal to a fixed amount - for example, two monthly salaries or more. Bonuses for top managers are higher, they can be paid in several stages, including in December and March, since not every company can plan large payments at the end of the year.
17. Motivation board. Few managers know this term, we will talk about it in more detail. In fact, the motivation board is a standard whiteboard, which is a clear dynamic indicator of the sales level at the current date for each department or manager, and also becomes a reflection of the employee’s personal contribution to the common cause.
Experience confirms that it is possible to achieve the effect thanks to the motivational board after a week of use. Previously, the worst managers understood that their poor sales could go unnoticed. Now an exciting game begins, competitions, because no one wants to be the last. At the same time, the spirit of competition still does not prevent managers from supporting each other. They can see how much remains until the sales plan is fulfilled, starting to customize the rest of the employees - the team spirit works.
18. Paying for employee training. To achieve professionalism in any work, it is important for an employee to strive for improvement in his specialty. After all, an employee who is keen on his training will certainly be able to achieve career growth and improvement of skills, with the development of additional skills. Therefore, training and knowledge can be an important motivating factor. There can be various ways for such motivation. Including employees sent to participate in conferences, trainings, etc. Additional knowledge should be made an advantage in order to inspire employees to further their training.
19. Payment of the fitness club membership. A fairly effective motivation is to pay for the hobbies and hobbies of employees. Such hobbies usually relate to visiting a fitness center .. Moreover, if employees are focused on improving their physical condition, then they are more focused on achieving their goals. But not everyone likes going to the gym. Some may be more interested in a drawing school or piano lessons. Each person is individual, so hobbies vary.
20. Control as a way of motivating staff. Many managers are convinced of the need for employee control. Control really allows you to motivate employees. The main idea is to provide employees with the opportunity to independently make decisions on all issues for which centralized control is not required. Allow employees to change any aspect of their work environment on their own if they do not pose a threat to the image and safety of the company. In particular, one company allows employees to walk to work with headphones, enjoying their favorite music. Many companies do not prohibit employees from decorating their jobs. Give employees more freedom of decision within reason to achieve effective motivation.
21. Salary. Salary is one of the main ways to motivate employees. Therefore, if you cannot initially provide a sufficient salary for an employee, then other methods will prove to be ineffective and collateral. A comfortable salary level for different employees varies. It is important to understand what level of wages will be constant and which is flexible.
22. Bank of ideas. You should be interested in the opinions and thoughts of your employees. Many employees may have really useful and effective ideas, but do not see interest in them. Although most managers are interested in having employees share relevant thoughts and ideas, it’s just that not all managers can ask. For the most part, they simply interrupt the employee and reject his initiatives, which deprives employees of self-confidence and motivation. To solve this problem, it is better to get a notebook, file or other documents in which ideas of employees will be recorded. Thanks to this approach, managers soon begin to listen better to employees who can come up with some pretty good ideas.
23. Employee participation in profit / option. An option is one of the instruments for the equity participation of employees in the capital of a company. Such an instrument was a substitute for partnerships or simple corporatization of staff. In Russian practice, option programs are considered a relatively young phenomenon. A few years ago, such cases were isolated. The main goal is to target the company's management to long-term growth in capitalization and increase employee loyalty to the employer company. The loyalty of managers to the company is especially relevant today, when due to economic growth there is a shortage of highly qualified employees. Because of this, compensation and staff turnover increase. The introduction of option programs contributes to the effective solution of both of these problems.
24. Payment of travel and mobile communications. Many employees are interested in paying for their transportation costs or the cost of mobile communications, as they can reach impressive sizes. Naturally, such bonuses will be pleasant for your employees. It would seem a trifle, but nice!
Personnel motivation system: concept, development
This is a set of measures aimed at the internal values and needs of subordinates, stimulating not only the work as a whole, but first of all, diligence, initiative and the desire to work. And also to achieve the goals in their activities, to improve the professional level, and to increase the overall efficiency of the enterprise.
The personnel motivation system consists of two components.
It includes the following components:
- Remuneration of labor.
- Disability benefits.
- Employee insurance.
- Overtime pay.
- Compensation for loss of space.
- Payment equivalent to income received.
Consider another component.
It includes such methods:
- Improving the mental state and mood, various complexes of programs for advanced training, intelligence, erudition, self-improvement.
- Activities aimed at improving self-esteem and self-esteem, at the satisfaction of their work.
- Cohesion and promotion of the team through the conduct of cooperatives.
- Setting goals and objectives.
- Control over their implementation.
- Offer to take a leading position.
These methods do not involve any payouts.
Examples of staff motivation
Examples of such management actions are:
- Six employees who have the best results for the work performed according to the results summed up for the quarter will be awarded a double salary bonus.
- Photos of the best employee will be posted on the enterprise’s honor board,
- A salary allowance of 2% of personal sales is provided.
Теперь приступим к рассмотрению другого термина.
Здесь уже отмечается совершенно иной подход. For example:
- Кто не выполнит план по реализации в этом месяце, будет лишен премии.
- Вы не покинете рабочего место, пока не закроете годовой отчет.
- Кому не нравятся условия работы, можете класть на стол заявление об увольнении, незаменимых людей нет.
The examples show that the motivation and stimulation of staff is like the folk method of “carrot and stick”. This means that motivation awakens the employee’s inner desire to work, and stimulation makes him work if there is no such desire.
But the emphasis on stimulation is still not worth it, because most people hate their work precisely for this reason and are forced to remain because of hopelessness. In some cases, it can be used if the subordinate does very poorly with his direct duties.
Often, employers resort to stimulation because it does not require costs, and even easier. But workers from this method arrive in a state of stress. The consequence of this is poor working ability and frequent layoffs, which leads to staff turnover, and this is a big minus for the enterprise.
Therefore, it is necessary to combine these methods, but the emphasis should be on motivation. Then the manager will be able to create an efficiently working harmonious team, whose employees will fight in the conditions of healthy competition.
The main groups of motivation methods
Methods of personnel motivation are divided into two groups. It:
- Material motivation (monetary reward).
- Intangible motivation of staff.
To avoid the problem of dismissal of qualified personnel, staff motivation should include different methods and intangible ones as well.
In each group, you can consider mainly important methods of staff motivation:
- Reward system. These are bonuses, various allowances, bonuses, etc. The employee understands that the more conscientiously and better he will perform his duties, the more reward he will receive,
- The system of fines. For poorly done work on the basis of the worst results, the subordinate is punished with a fine.
It includes a wider range of methods:
- Growth on a career ladder. The employee tries to work better than the rest in order to obtain the desired promotion in the post, which means an increase in remuneration and a different status.
- Good atmosphere in the team. A close-knit team serves as additional motivation for effective labor productivity.
- Employment and a full social package, according to the current Legislation, are a significant aspect in finding a job, and when getting it, good motivation.
- Organization of cultural and sports events. As a rule, a joint pastime of the entire team promotes cohesion and a good working microclimate, and also provides an excellent opportunity for high-quality rest and relaxation.
- The prestige of the enterprise. Work in a company whose name is well known to everyone will also serve as an incentive for productive cooperation,
- Possibility of training at the expense of the enterprise. This is a great chance to improve the skill level.
- Approving word from the head. The praise of the manager is expensive. Companies still use actual honor boards and virtual ones on the company's official websites for this purpose.
The list can be replenished further. But each manager nevertheless selects methods that are appropriate for the business in order to achieve maximum success with minimal costs.
The simplest type of motivation: no need to dive into psychological exercises, delve into the needs of each employee - just give more money. As a rule, this works: no one has ever refused money. But there are also nuances: there is a special kind of people who value the human attitude or work for the benefit of the Big Idea. Let's talk about finances first, and then back to romance and subtle natures.
1. The increase in wages. At least 5-10 percent. If you have few employees, these extra expenses are unlikely to greatly affect the profits of the online store, and they motivate employees perfectly. The first months after the increase, your entire team will simply fly with happiness!
The same type of motivation also applies to accrual of bonuses. - for example, a manager can be rewarded for a record number of closed orders, a courier for processing many addresses, an accountant for successful closing of reports, a marketer for a successful advertising campaign. If a person has reached the goal by 100%, pay him a 100% bonus, if by 80%, let the amount be lower.
2. Discounts on services. Surely your employees have looked at something from the assortment of your online store, or maybe they are already actively making orders. Set corporate discounts once and for all: team members can buy goods at a 30% discount or another at face value. This will not only increase your profits, but also encourage employees to work talking word of mouth: let them tell everyone about your kindness and generosity, and at the same time advertise goods.
3. Payment for training. Now you can send employees to courses and trainings: individual and team. It helps to unite your team and gives employees new knowledge. Do not spare money for training: in the end, these costs will come back to you handsomely when employees begin to put the experience into practice.
4. Repair in the office, buying furniture, arranging a dining room or lounge in the office. It seems that the employee does not receive anything in cash - but you invest in his comfort. It is known that the convenience of the workplace directly affects labor productivity: try to hang all day on the phone, entering data into the CRM system with the other hand! Buy employees comfortable ergonomic furniture, paint the office in bright positive colors, allow employees to dine and relax in a designated place.
5. Presentation of gifts. And these are not only traditional envelopes and bouquets for birthdays and March 8th. It is not necessary to reward employees because of holidays, but in connection with a job well done. Remember how earlier the best employees were awarded in Soviet production: they gave watches, permits to sanatoriums, posted photographs on the honor board and in the corporate media. Take these ideas into service - albeit not on an industrial scale. Vouchers to the resort, gym memberships, tickets for shows or performances are popular among modern executives - only, of course, find out in advance the preferences of your employee.
Reward the best employees, write about it on the website and in the communities of the online store, in social networks - let customers know their heroes! If your company participates in professional contests - try to offer your candidate in any category.
6. Nice little things. Material compensation can be replaced by other quite tangible incentives: extra days off, free lunches, corporate mobile communications, medical insurance, the ability to leave work if necessary. And all this without too much red tape, countless papers with a signature - simply by the will of the boss.
If you have far-reaching plans for an employee, tell him about it. Many leaders strive to make a career and advance up the stairs - if they are sure that they will be promoted, they can easily do without an increase in salary or bonus. Your task is to keep your word: deception and shattered hopes will not be forgiven. Your niche market is not that big, and bad rumors can spread quickly.
So we got to those to whom human relations are more important than salaries. These are mainly women who go to work largely because of the good psychological climate, pleasant colleagues, and emotional atmosphere.
1. Praise. Many bosses consider it below their dignity to once again praise an employee. Meanwhile, praise, even spontaneous or insignificant, will do more than dry directions and strict adherence to instructions. A simple “thank you” or “well done” - and now your employee is smiling and doing his task with a good mood, and the rest of the employees are imbued with loyalty to you.
2. The ability to communicate with the boss and subordinate. Employees often have questions that they have no one to discuss with: the manager rarely appears at work, and if he comes, he closes in his office and holds meetings. The remaining colleagues carry out their tasks and cannot suggest a solution. Make a rule: communicate with employees at least an hour a day. They should know that in the case of force majeure, and just like that you can come to you and get good advice or guidance.
3. The right to vote for everyone. It often happens that the most lively members of the team come up with suggestions and ideas - the rest are embarrassed or silent. Over time, such employees no longer ask at all, they turn into gray shadows of more successful colleagues. If you have such silent people, give them a chance to prove themselves. Brainstorm, team play, joint event. In unusual conditions, people open up from an unexpected side: it may be the gray mouse that will offer the most profitable idea.
4. Board of honor. Old as the world way that really works. Hang in the office a booth with the title “Best Employee of the Month” and periodically update photos on it. Be sure to duplicate the information on the company’s website in the news section or in social networks. Do not forget to reward the winner with snacks or pleasant things.
5. Flexible schedule. How many unfortunate “owl” sellers come to work by 9 a.m. and then toil until lunch, unable to wake up. And poor “larks” couriers stand idle in their most productive hours — in the morning, and in the evening, pumped up by power engineers, carry orders home. Meanwhile, people can be greatly facilitated by allowing them to work on a flexible schedule or remotely. If you have remote employees, you already know that the quality of work does not suffer from the territorial factor. People know their tasks and deadlines, and when they do them - late at night or in the morning, you are not concerned.
1. Taking into account the temperament of workers. Melancholics work differently than choleric ones, and phlegmatic people differ from sanguine persons. We have already written how to work with clients of various types of character - the same principles can be applied to our own employees. To determine the type is simple: if you do not want to understand in detail the personality of the subordinate, just conduct a psychological test.
2. A game of ambition. This method was invented by Walt Disney, and now many leaders have picked up. In the empire of the well-known animator there were many departments and posts, some of them prestigious, others not very. The most unpopular were the laundries in hotels: people did not want to work there - not prestigious. Disney renamed laundries to textile services: it sounded different and equated workers with other departments. That is, nothing has changed except the name, but how pleasant it was for the employees! Nowadays, this method is also popular: the cleaning lady is proudly called the household manager, the laundress is the washing operator, and so on.
3. The internal system of rewards - and not from the authorities, but from their own colleagues. The bottom line is simple: a corporate program is created in which everyone openly leaves feedback, thanks or complaints about the work of their own colleagues. Now it’s even easier to do this: in any messenger, special corporate chat, business application.
Remote Employee Motivation
Even if the person is far away from you, he should feel involved in your common cause. Freelancers are more important not even material motivation (this is just the simplest), but a kind word and praise to the boss. It depends on you whether he will become part of the team and will be able to work with you for many years. How to motivate a remote employee?
- personally get to know each employee, communicate online, make video calls, call on Skype,
- personally give specific tasks and periodically demand a report,
- talk more about your plans, the future of the online store. Ask the freelancer what he’s ready to do,
- invite a remote employee to an office or to your city - preferably at your expense. No calling will replace personal acquaintance,
- hold joint events, conferences, trainings, teambuildings.
And, perhaps, the most important thing is to burn yourself. Believe in the success of your online store and infect employees with this faith. Let everything work out!