Regular emptying of the gastrointestinal tract from feces is an indicator of the health of not only the digestive system, but also the whole organism, since the accumulation of feces and the presence of hard stools are always intoxication of the body due to the constant source of toxic substances formed in the intestines during constipation . Adults quite often ignore such a problem as an intestinal upset in terms of the formation of feces of a normal consistency, which would have sufficient plasticity and a person would not have to make great efforts to commit an act of defecation. If there are signs of hard stool, it is imperative to establish a factor affecting the fact that the feces do not leave in a normal state and take measures to soften them. Otherwise, it threatens the development of severe complications and secondary diseases of the internal organs of the abdominal cavity.
Causes of hard stool in an adult
There are a large number of negative factors and conditions that do not in the best way affect the work of the digestive tract. Most of them are easily eliminated from the life of an adult, and normalization of fecal density does not take much time.
Therefore, it is very important to know that excessively hard stool appears for the following reasons:
- improperly organized food (this is the most common factor, that an adult leads a very unsteady lifestyle, eats on the go, or there are large intervals of time between meals),
- intestinal dysbiosis, when due to the long-term use of antibacterial drugs or due to other negative circumstances, a stable balance of beneficial and pathogenic microflora is disrupted towards the microorganisms of the last group (in this case, the food is digested too slowly, and its absorption is not fully reflected) on increased fecal density),
- maintaining a sedentary and sedentary lifestyle, when the activity of all internal organs decreases, intestinal motility begins to work slowly, which in turn directly affects the formation of solid feces and the speed of their movement along the gastrointestinal tract,
- drug dependence on drugs with laxative properties (develops after prolonged and uncontrolled intake of tablets and drops that stimulate the intestines and this body begins to get used to the active components of the drug, losing the ability to independently evacuate feces outside the body),
- diseases of the central nervous system or its endings, which are responsible for transmitting an impulse from the cerebral cortex to muscle fibers located in the region of the anal ring (in this case, the person begins to feel the urge to the toilet too late when the stool has already become dense inside the rectum, since was not promptly brought out)
- frequent stressful situations, nervous strain, also negatively affect the digestive system and can cause the appearance of hard stools,
- the use of large volumes of spirits, smoking and taking drugs,
- a diet containing an excessive amount of protein foods (peas, beans, meat, lentils, soy) and fiber is almost completely absent (cereal cereals, fresh vegetables, fruits, various salads based on them).
An important role in the formation of too dense feces in an adult is played not only by current factors and living conditions, but also by a hereditary predisposition.
If close relatives suffered from constipation, the formation of fecal blockages and traffic jams, then there is an 80% chance that descendants will encounter a similar problem. The only question is the time of manifestation of the ailment.
Symptoms of Stool
Before you make a diagnosis on your own that too dense feces are formed in the gastrointestinal tract, you should observe the features of the digestive system and directly pay attention to the presence or absence of the following symptoms:
- fecal masses have a specific consistency and outwardly resemble multiple balls of irregular shape, which are knocked down into one solid lump or scattered in different directions,
- in 20-30 minutes the stomach begins to swell, a person suffers from increased gas formation and flatulence, which stops almost immediately as soon as the bowel movement occurs,
- the processes of release of feces is accompanied by unpleasant and cutting sensations inside the abdomen closer to its lower part,
- the anus is tense and the presence of acute pain is not excluded, since there is static pressure on the mucous membrane of the rectum,
- there is a state of general weakness, which intensifies after going to the toilet,
- periodically for 1-2 days, constipation occurs and the stool is completely absent, and appears even in a more solid state.
Adults who suffer from such a defecation disorder can periodically observe minor contaminants of capillary blood in their stool, which indicates a violation of the integrity of the mucous membrane or injury to the tissues of the anus with too dense feces. All of the above symptoms are a direct reason to soften stool as soon as possible and facilitate the work not only of the digestive system, but also at the same time to prevent the possible onset of intoxication of the whole organism.
Treatment or how to soften feces for constipation at home?
In order to make the consistency of the stool more plastic without going outside the house and without visiting a proctologist or gastroenterologist, recipes of alternative medicine should be used. Ethen simple tips that are based on the formation of a proper diet, saturating the menu with only biologically useful products, as well as performing a series of physiotherapeutic procedures.
To normalize fecal density at home, the following is recommended:
- there is as much cabbage as possible during the current day (it does not matter in what form this vegetable is presented - raw, stewed or pickled, the main thing is that it is, since eating it provides the intestines with enough fiber necessary for quick and painless emptying)
- every day in the diet should be present fresh vegetables and fruits, as well as salads prepared on their basis and richly seasoned with vegetable oil),
- freshly squeezed juices, fruit drinks that stimulate the activity of peristalsis accelerate the passage of digestive waste with its natural exit beyond the gastrointestinal tract, until they are thickened and form a fecal blockage (juice from fruits and fresh vegetables should be drunk on an empty stomach every morning 30 minutes before taking food)
- fermented milk products that have previously undergone the degreasing process and contain a minimum percentage of fatty acids (fermented baked milk, kefir, yogurt, sour cream, sour cream - these are all products that not only make the stool much softer, but they also saturate the intestinal microflora with beneficial bacteria that normalize digestion, which avoids the relapse of the disease in the future),
- bread baked only from whole grain flour (in such a bakery product, a large number of vitamins, minerals are stored and there is an increased concentration of fiber, without which a stable defecation process is impossible),
- cereal cereals seasoned with butter, animal fat or meat broth (dishes from buckwheat, oat, wheat, pearl barley, corn, barley groats must be present in the patient's daily menu with constipation),
- a decoction of black elderberry (100 grams of the fruits of a branched shrub of this species are brewed with 1 liter of boiling water, the container with the future medicine is infused in a dark place at room temperature and tightly wrapped in a towel, and after cooling it is taken 100 grams 3 times a day for 15 minutes before meals),
- moderate physical activity, consisting of walking fast, jogging, cycling, swimming, in order to provide natural stimulation of the liver cells and accelerate intestinal motility,
- an enema from ordinary boiled water or based on chamomile decoction, which removes the inflammatory process of the mucous membrane of the gastrointestinal tract and for one makes the stool softer (this method of treating dense stool at home should not be abused, since it is possible that the body will begin to get used to to this procedure, and the person will no longer be able to independently perform the act of defecation).
Also, being at home, you can independently use suppositories, which have a laxative effect. To soften feces, Bisacodyl suppositories are suitable, which are inserted into the cavity of the rectum through the anus, dissolve quickly, penetrate the walls of the mucous membrane and denser epithelial tissues.
Already after 1-2 hours, and in some cases much earlier, an adult begins to feel the first urge to go to the toilet, and the process of bowel movement takes place without much effort, the structure of feces becomes more plastic and soft. It is allowed to use candles from a hard stool no more than 1 time in 2 weeks. Such a rare use of them is due to the fact that the body can get used to a laxative.
The intestine functions normally when its work is characterized by regular bowel movements, which occurs painlessly and easily. If the act of emptying is difficult or the stool occurs less often than once a day, then we can say that a person has constipation.
With intestinal stasis, the structure of feces can take the following forms:
- round feces, having a pea-shaped shape, go separately,
- the masses are dense and have a ribbed surface,
- feces are lumpy.
The acute form of constipation can be attributed to those conditions when the hardened mass of feces is stuck in the intestine, and its exit is completely stopped.
The following symptoms are characteristic of this type of problematic stool:
- discomfort is felt in the rectum,
- there’s a feeling of fullness in the lower abdomen
- completely empty
- empty urge to empty.
Often dense stools are accompanied by such a pathology, when constipation with solid feces is caused by an incomplete exit of feces accumulated in the intestines. The process is quite painful, as previously stuck feces pass through the intestines, they damage its walls and lead to rupture of the anus.
If, before emptying, one does not take measures to soften hardened excrement, the consequences of such constipation can be hernias, prolapse of the rectum, and the appearance of hemorrhoidal nodes.
Softening feces at home
Normalizing the structure of feces in the first place is possible, starting with adjustments to the diet. If you suspect hardened feces inside the intestine, you need to refuse food that can worsen the problem, and add more plant-based foods containing fiber to your diet.
Gastroenterologists recommend for constipation, which are accompanied by too dense feces, adhere to these recommendations:
- the diet should be filled with fresh vegetables,
- should abandon rice and semolina,
- soups should be cooked on a low-fat broth,
- you need to eat at least 5 times a day, but in small portions,
- exclude caffeine from the diet,
- eat fermented milk products that do not contain thickeners and flavors,
- it is necessary to add two to three drops of vegetable oil to the finished food.
Since dehydration can become the cause of hard stools, you need to moisten the feces, for this you should drink at least 1.5 liters of water per day. You should drink pure water, as tea or coffee, on the contrary, can cause dehydration.
If the therapeutic diet has not yielded results, you can use a laxative, softening stool. Since all laxatives have a number of contraindications, they must be drunk with caution. For example, you can not take a fast-acting laxative with hard feces, since it does not help soften the stool, the output of feces can be accompanied by soreness and ruptures of the anus.
What kind of drugs to use to soften feces depends on how the pathological condition is started. When choosing a drug, the patient's age and the presence of any concomitant diseases should also be taken into account.
Stool softening preparations
There are several types of drugs for softening feces. Some of them are used rectally, others - orally. However, all of them have one goal - cleansing the intestines by softening and eliminating the accumulated feces.
If we talk about drugs in the form of tablets, then they are divided into:
- stimulating, which irritate intestinal motility and muscles,
- agents with a mild effect
Their difference lies in the time of exposure and influence on the fecal structure. With hardened feces, it is best to use bulk laxatives or mild drugs. Emptying occurs within 10-12 hours after their intake, during which time the feces become softer, and its release occurs easily and painlessly.
Such funds include:
Since addiction to laxatives occurs quickly enough, it is best not to get carried away with them. If you regularly use them, the intestines will cease to work independently, and atony will occur. Also, you can not take more than one laxative pill per day, as this can lead to severe diarrhea, and this, in turn, will lead to dehydration.
Candles for softening feces are an excellent substitute for laxative tablets. The intestine is their immediate area of action. They are quite effective for functional constipation. If the cause of constipation is a disease of the gastrointestinal tract, the proper effect of the suppository will not come. In this case, it is better to use an enema or a laxative in the form of tablets, since the accumulation of feces occurs in the upper intestine. Mechanical obstructions in the intestines (scars, neoplasms) also will not give any effect from the use of suppositories.
Oil and enema
If the medications did not give the desired effect, or if there are contraindications for their use, there is another way to soften the stool in the rectum - an enema. If the constipation is not started, a hypertensive enema is used, which is aimed at leaching feces by introducing a specially designed solution into the intestine. This method is quite effective if the question arose about how to quickly soften the stool. Softening of feces occurs due to the fact that salt water increases the osmotic pressure, because of this their release occurs painlessly and freely.
Constipation of a running etiology
To soften feces with such constipation, it is necessary to use an oil enema. The effect of it is not so fast, but for the complete softening of solid feces, this is ideal. Only warm oil must be poured into the intestine; its temperature should be 37 degrees. This will relax the intestinal muscles and relieve spasm. With pathogenic constipation, this is very important. Enema should be done carefully and adhere to all recommendations.
How to prevent stool hardening
Most often, hardening of fecal matter occurs due to intestinal dysfunction. So that the feces do not have time to accumulate and regularly exit, it is necessary to make sure that the emptying is daily.
With a problematic intestine, you must follow these recommendations:
- the diet should be filled with foods that soften feces,
- the use of flour products should be reduced to a minimum, the baked goods consumed should be stale,
- at least 1.5 liters of pure water should be consumed per day,
- exclude spicy, fried, fatty foods from the diet,
- eat more fresh fruits and vegetables (with the exception of legumes, pears, grapes and persimmons),
- dried fruits (especially dried apricots and prunes) should be present in the diet,
- in your daily diet must be boiled beets with vegetable oil,
- the day should start with a light charge.
If constipation is associated with gastrointestinal disease, prevention should not only consist of proper nutrition, but it is also necessary to get rid of the root cause that leads to intestinal dysfunction. This therapy should be carried out exclusively under the supervision of a specialist and with the use of medications.