Drinking coffee in the morning is for many not just a habit, but a necessity. Fragrant and tasty drink helps to wake up faster and in a good mood to start a new day. Most people use coffee makers to make this drink, because they are convenient and easy to use. However, the coffee maker needs proper and regular care, like any other equipment. Therefore, so that the use of equipment does not become a problem, you need to know exactly how to clean the coffee maker efficiently and quickly, so that this does not affect the taste of the beverage prepared in it and extend the life of the machine.
Why do I need to clean the coffee maker
When buying a coffee machine in the house, you need to be prepared for the fact that it must be cleaned regularly of scale. Since this is a popular and often used household appliance, many coffee lovers need to learn how to clean their coffee machine from scale.
Regardless of what kind of water you use to make coffee, the constant contact of the liquid with the elements of the coffee machine leads to the appearance of scale, worsens the operation of the device and the quality of the brew, and reduces the operational life of the product. If drastic measures are not taken in time and the machine is not cleaned, a large amount of scale will damage the household appliance.
Today, many well-known models of coffee makers are equipped with automatic descaling. This feature allows you to save the coffee maker from scale and plaque, simply by pressing a button. Often on such models there is also an indicator that signals that it is time to clean the coffee maker.
If the technique does not possess these properties, it is necessary to independently rid it of plaque and scale. For cleaning use special, household and folk remedies.
Special cleaning agents are presented in the form of tablets, liquids and powder. An individual product is sold for each coffee maker, but you can use the universal options.
How to clean a coffee maker with citric acid
Citric acid is often used to clean coffee makers, since it is an inexpensive and quite effective tool. So, how to clean the coffee maker with citric acid? Just do the following:
- in a liter of warm water dissolve 30 grams of citric acid, mix and pour into a coffee maker,
- if the machine has an automatic cleaning button, you just need to click on it,
- when there is no button, turn on the coffee machine and wait until the water with citric acid gets from the tank into the coffee pot,
- after all the solution is in the coffee pot, the coffee maker must be de-energized and all parts of the machine washed with clean water,
- To remove the remaining citric acid from the coffee maker, you need to double-tap in a container of clean water and turn on the appliance, after which the water will rinse all the parts from the inside and pour into the coffee pot.
Cleaning the carob
It is necessary to clean the carob coffee makers of scale and plaque regularly and in a timely manner. If the water is soft and clean, four procedures a year will suffice, in other cases it will be necessary to clean more often. Rinse the carob coffee maker with improvised means and special chemical solutions for cleaning. Chemical preparations containing phospholinic, citric and maleic acid are considered to be popular and often used decalcifiers. To know exactly how to clean a carob, you need to learn certain rules:
- We take 125 milliliters of the drug, a liter of water and make a solution, after which we pour it into the tank.
- A third of the resulting solution is passed through the horn and wait fifteen minutes.
- Also, the composition is passed through the tube.
- We take clean water and wash the horn and tube.
After using chemicals for cleaning, you need to brew four servings of coffee and pour it. This will be the final stage of cleaning the coffee maker, after which you can safely proceed to the preparation of a fragrant drink.
How to clean a drip coffee maker
If there is a drip coffee maker in the house, then it is necessary to clean it every month. Residues of ground beans can damage the equipment and affect the taste of coffee. Before cleaning a drip coffee maker, you should familiarize yourself with common home remedies:
- cleaning tablets
- lemon acid,
Do not use soda, as it can clog the tubes and filter. Also, do not mix bleaches with acid-containing formulations.
Cleaning a coffee maker with vinegar
Cleaning your coffee maker with vinegar is especially effective. This method helps to get rid of scale quickly even with the most severe dirt. But, unfortunately, unlike citric acid, vinegar leaves an unpleasant odor, so the coffee maker must be washed an additional few times. This nuance must be taken into account before cleaning the coffee maker.
For a solution you will need a glass of table vinegar and three glasses of water. We mix the ingredients and pour the resulting product into a coffee maker. After cleaning, rinse the appliance thoroughly with clean water several times.
The process of cleaning the coffee maker is not complicated, but important. Every coffee lover should know how to clean the coffee machine correctly, as this affects the durability of the equipment and its operation. To know how many times you need to rinse the coffee maker, you need to pay attention to the hardness of the water: the higher it is, the more often you need to take care of the device.
It is forbidden to use soap for cleaning. This will only complicate the situation and complicate the procedure. If the coffee pot is made of glass, it is better to use bleaches for cleaning, but in no case mix them with vinegar.
Knowing how to clean a coffee maker using improvised and special tools at home, you can extend the life of the appliance and enjoy your favorite and delicious coffee every day.
Use the above recommendations and tips, apply the recipes described above, and you will never encounter the problem of breakage of the coffee machine due to untimely cleaning. Regular care is all that is needed for the smooth operation of any unit.
Features of cleaning different types of coffee makers
There are always metal salts in water, most often these are calcium and magnesium carbonates. Substances are obtained during the thermal process and remain on the surface of the coffee machine elements. You will notice that it takes longer to get a drink than before, an unpleasant aftertaste or aroma appears, and a precipitate forms in the mug. According to specialists in the repair of household appliances, a large amount of carob and capsule boiler-type coffee makers are prone to blockages.
How to clean a carob and other types of coffee
Pods, carob, capsule coffee makers work on the same principle as drip, but their difference lies in the design of the coffee device. Clean according to the instructions provided:
- unplug the appliance so that you are not accidentally shocked,
- remove the filled horn with coffee, pour the cake,
- rinse the receiver, then fill it with 500 ml of water with 2 tbsp. citric acid. Leave on for 20 minutes
- drain the water from the pan, turn on the appliance,
- set the steam supply mode and pass about 200 ml of solution through the nozzle of the cappuccino machine,
- change the mode for making coffee and pass the rest of the solution through a clean horn.
When you have completed all the operations, fill the water tank to the maximum level, re-launch the program for preparing the drink. Repeat the procedure, after which you can begin normal operation of the device.
How to clean the coffee maker from scale
You can remove limescale with citric acid, vinegar, and soda. These agents destroy even persistent compounds. You can clean the coffee maker with such methods every 200 cups or as it becomes dirty. When preparing the solution, pass water through a filter beforehand to remove metal salts. With regular cleaning, the appliance will delight you with delicious, aromatic coffee for many years.
The most popular descaler is citric acid. For 4 cups of water, take 30 g of dry matter, dissolve and fill into a liquid tank. Add cold water to the maximum mark, turn on the device for 10 minutes. After half an hour, repeat the procedure. If, after cleaning, you have brewed coffee and have a sour lemon flavor, rinse the coffee maker a couple of times with plain water.
Vinegar has a similar effect as citric acid. Take a 9 percent solution in an amount of 100 ml, dilute it with water 3 times. Then pour liquid into the tank. Turn on the coffee maker and leave it for 15 minutes to remove scale. Drain the remaining liquid, rinse the container with water. For greater effectiveness, you can mix vinegar with citric acid (30 g of lemon and 3-4 tablespoons of vinegar in 500 ml of water), such a solution will cope even with a strong scaling.
Salt and soda
Surely your kitchen always has soda and salt, so you can make them a great cleanser. Mix a tablespoon of each substance and add 400 ml of water. Pour the solution into the liquid compartment, so where scale accumulates, and leave to act for a couple of hours. Then drain the solution, rinse the container with clean water and you can turn on the cleaned device in the work.
Household Product Overview
Coffee machine manufacturers produce concentrates and tablets for cleaning the system. The choice depends on the model and type of device. They can be purchased at stores selling household appliances. The most popular are cleaning fluids from Bork, Saeco, Krups, Bosch tablets, Siemens. When buying, purchase only original products and follow the recommendations indicated by the manufacturer in the instructions. The procedure for using cleaning powders, liquids and tablets is given on the packaging for the products.
How to use auto cleaning mode
In expensive models of coffee machines there is a very convenient function - auto-cleaning. If your device has such an advantage, be sure to use it. Pre-read the instructions, there should be a written procedure. Then turn on the coffee maker, find the auto-cleaning button and press it.
After receiving the command, the machine will self-clean itself. You will periodically need to top up clean water and do the commands shown on the display. Typically, the manufacturer recommends self-cleaning every 100-150 cups.
How to not clean the coffee maker
The process of cleaning the coffee maker seems simple, but has a number of features. If you make mistakes, you can damage the device, so never do this:
- If you use special cleaning solutions to remove scaling, do not add other substances to them. Branded mixtures are already available in the right concentration, and changing it will make the cleaning ineffective,
- do not use abrasive substances and products when cleaning work surfaces, they leave a lot of scratches,
- do not pour tap water for cleaning, the concentration of salts is increased in it, so there is no point in cleaning it with scale. Buy bottled water or use a pre-filter system.
With regular cleaning, even the most inexpensive coffee maker will last you a long time, so don't neglect the process. Do not wait until the machine fails, carry out preventive measures against scale formation in a timely manner. Careful operation of the device is the key to obtaining a delicious drink.
How to clean a carob?
Caring for any coffee machine (Delongi, Bork) involves timely descaling. In regions with soft and medium hard water, it should be carried out at least three times a year, otherwise, even more often. In this case, decalcification can be carried out both using improvised means and special chemical cleaners.
Some of the most popular are Saeco products. The high efficiency of chemistry is due to its powerful composition (the preparation contains citric, maleic and phospholinic acid). So, how to clean the coffee maker with a special decalcifier? To do this, just follow the instructions:
- dissolve the drug in water in accordance with the proportions on the package (125 ml: 1 l),
- pour the diluted composition into the tank,
- pass 1/3 of the product through the horn, stand for 20 minutes,
- drive the composition through the cappuccino tube, stand,
- if heavily soiled, repeat the previous two steps,
- rinse the horn and the steam tube one at a time (use 2-2.5 liters of clean bottled liquid).
After using chemistry, it is necessary to brew espresso and cappuccino (2-3 servings), but do not drink. This is the final stage of descaling the device, after which you can begin normal operation of the coffee machine.
Note! In order to avoid equipment breakdown when using chemicals, they should not be mixed with acid and soda.
The reasons for the appearance of scale
The reason for limescale is poorly soluble in water salts of hardness CaCO3 and MgCO3 (salts of rare-earth metals of calcium and magnesium). These compounds are formed by heating the bicarbonates Ca (HCO3) 2 and Mg (HCO3) 2, which are part of natural water and decompose at temperatures above +40 ºС.
Ca (HCO3) 2 = CaCO3 + H2O + CO2,
Mg (HCO3) 2 = MgCO3 + H2O + CO2.
If you install an ion-exchange filter or a device magnetizing water on the incoming water pipe, you can significantly reduce the deposition of hardness salts on the heaters and extend the life of not only the coffee machine, but also the boiler, kettle, washing machine and dishwasher.
Signs of clogging the coffee maker
When using water containing hardness salts, scale will inevitably form in the coffee maker. Both simple drip and capsule or carob coffee makers are susceptible to clogging.
The more bends and the smaller the diameter of the tubes for the passage of water in the coffee machine, the greater the likelihood of scale formation. Particles of limescale clog the water channels.
Not all coffee makers are equipped with a built-in indicator (counter for the number of brewed cups of coffee), so you need to be able to recognize signs of limescale inside the machine:
- it takes longer to prepare one serving of the drink than before,
- when the tube and outlet are clogged, the trickle of the finished coffee becomes thin, which is why the cup takes longer,
- the taste of the drink has worsened
- there was an odor
- a working device began to make unusual sounds,
- a light gray precipitate is visible in the cup,
- increased electricity consumption while the coffee maker is running.
According to repair specialists, capsule and carob coffee makers of the boiler are most prone to clogging the heater and clogging the tubes. In devices with a thermoblock, water does not stagnate, and the process of scale formation is slower.
If limescale has appeared, you need to get rid of it, and cleaning the coffee maker from scale is possible at home.
In very advanced cases, the coffee maker will have to be disassembled
Professional and popular coffee maker cleaners
Manufacturers of coffee machines have long created a separate source of income for themselves: they make and sell products for descaling devices. The latest generation models have a function of auto-cleaning with the indispensable use of proprietary products. After making 200-300 cups of coffee, the smart machine signals that it is time to start cleaning. Professional products are available in the form of tablets, powders and liquids.
Each manufacturer of coffee machines claims that you can use exclusively proprietary tools. This is nothing more than a marketing ploy. If you read the composition on the label, it becomes clear that the main component is citric acid. Is it worth it to spend considerable money (from 1000 to 1200 rubles) on the purchase of a branded product when a bag of citric acid costs several times cheaper and is sold at any grocery store?
The use of edible citric acid for cleaning the coffee machine from scale has several advantages:
- citric acid does not cause environmental pollution, does not emit toxins,
- the process of dissolution of calcareous formations occurs gently, without the release of hazardous chemicals harmful to health,
- to dissolve even old formations, a small amount of acid in the form of a crystalline powder (30 g per 1 liter of water) is needed.
Different types of scale descaling instructions
The method of descaling the coffee maker depends on the design of the device. It is convenient to wash machines with a removable filter and a brewing unit under a tap in running water. If you regularly rinse the device after making coffee, thorough cleaning with citric acid or purchased tablets can be done no more than 1 time per month.
Models with a built-in unit often have the function of auto-cleaning (decalcification), and if it is not provided, then the scale is removed independently, using a cleaning solution.
Most modern products are based on citric acid.
Чистка от накипи капельной кофеварки
- Вымыть фильтр тёплой водой с мягкой щёточкой (ненужной зубной щёткой) и вернуть его на место.
- Приготовить рабочую жидкость из лимонной кислоты: 30 г кристаллического порошка растворить в 4 стаканах тёплой воды.
- Залить раствор в резервуар для воды. Add cold water to the tank to the Max mark.
- Turn on the coffee maker for 5-10 minutes. After 30 minutes, repeat the procedure and wait until the entire solution passes into the receiving flask.
- If there are still traces of scale on the filter, immerse it in a hot solution prepared in this way and hold for an hour.
- Rinse the filter well and replace.
- Pour clean water through the coffee machine several times so that the acid comes out completely.
Citric acid is allowed to be replaced with vinegar. To do this, use white table vinegar with a strength of 9%, dissolved in water in a ratio of 1: 2.
If the glass vessel for collecting the finished coffee is cloudy, you need to fill it with a warm solution and rinse thoroughly after 30 minutes with water.
Descaling a carob, capsule and capsule coffee maker
The principle of operation of coffee makers of these types is almost the same, the only difference is in the design of the receiving device for coffee powder. Therefore, the descaling methods are the same:
- Unplug the coffee maker.
- Remove the used coffee from the horn (holder).
- Wash the removable tank under running water and fill it with a solution of the product prepared according to the manufacturer's instructions, or a solution of citric acid (according to the recipe described above). Let the working solution work for 15–20 minutes.
- Empty the container to discharge the cake.
- Pour water from the drip tray.
- Turn on the coffee machine.
- Release about half of the heated solution through the nozzle of the cappuccino machine, turning on the steam supply mode.
- Pass the remaining solution through an empty horn (capsule holder) in the coffee preparation mode.
After removing the limescale, they start washing the inside of the coffee maker, the process consists of two cycles.
Rinse cycle of the loading block and heater:
- fill the tank with clean water (up to the Max mark),
- start a coffee program,
- Collect wash water in an unnecessary container.
Cappuccino rinse cycle:
- refill the tank with clean water (up to the Max mark),
- Select and start the steam generation program. Collect flushing water from the cappuccino nozzle in a substituted container.
In modern coffee machines and coffee makers of the latest generation, the “automatic descaling” mode (decalcification) is provided. After completing the first 6 points of the above algorithm for manual mode, you need to enable the "Auto Clean" function. A smart machine will do it all by itself. It remains only to top up the cleaning solution or water, following the instructions that appear on the device’s LCD display.
- if the house does not have filters for water treatment based on ion-exchange resins, use only bottled water with a salt content of 75 to 250 g / l for brewing coffee,
- do not mix solutions of branded products with citric or acetic acid,
- in order to clean the coffee maker from scale, it is forbidden to use abrasive products,
- a few servings of coffee brewed immediately after cleaning have to be poured out: you can’t drink them.